Technical Removing Air-Bag steering wheel, safely?

Currently reading:
Technical Removing Air-Bag steering wheel, safely?

im sure his wasnt the only air bagged cinq, as im sure i had a old copy of AUTOCAR magazine with a road test against the cinq, a KA and something else!!

im pretty sure it was an R-reg (?) and im sure it was an SX model!! and this was and english one before you ask!! :p

Hi,
A few things you should take into account if you are planning remove the airbag wheel:

1. Disconnect the battery for at least ten minutes before removing the wiring/airbag. Do not just remove the fuse as it may have a backup supply as it is a safety system.

2. When the battery is disconnected, you can remove the airbag and replace it as much as you like, but if the battery is re-connected while the airbag is removed the airbag warning light will come on, replacing the airbag after this will not make the light go out, it will probably need to be reset by the dealer.

3. The airbag is normally linked to the seatbelt pre-tensioners, so that means they will not work without the airbag. This could be the big deal with the insurance company's.

4. The airbag is normally held on by two Tx20 or Tx25 screws on the back of the steering wheel spokes.

I have removed a few, not from fiats though, and haven't blown any up using this method yet......... :eek:

Paul T

If you read my post after removal, there was no wiring whatsoever connected to the air-bag in my Cinq as it was a gas discharge type system which must have run on the shock of the car being hit? (I don't know just guessing) & I have no warning light on dash. Seat belts still work a-ok as I've given them a good few pulls to ensure I wasn't going to kill myself.

Which means happy days with my new steering wheel (y)

Still some good advice there, especially the bolts as I'm sure that was the same size as I removed.

Aaron.

Hi,
If there was no yellow cable going to the airbag and no warning light it was just there for show, must have been a German formality to fit an airbag, even though there was no wiring for it......will remember this if I ever buy a German import car.. :eek:

Thanks

Paul T

paul_treg said:
Hi,
If there was no yellow cable going to the airbag and no warning light it was just there for show, must have been a German formality to fit an airbag, even though there was no wiring for it......will remember this if I ever buy a German import car.. :eek:

Thanks

Paul T

The airbags are mechanical.... pulled one of an X plate Sei, and fitted it to my Cinq today..... no wiring required!

Glen

mase said:
can i ask y people posted in a thread which has been dead for over 9 months?
so it doesn't **** the rest of us off by starting a new thread:p

May I suggest that only qualified people who understand how an airbag system deploys should work on airbag systems, be they mechanical or electronic.

HAPPY AS LARRY!!!!

Just changed the wheel with a few alterations to the instructions posted above. After reading it all I put my fears aside and gave it a go. I was a little worried about the air bag warning light being constantly on so did the following:

Once the air bag has been removed you will see two wires. One is connected to the back of the air bag and is in a yellow insulation (there are two wires insulated in there). I cut off the blue and green square which connects the wires to the back of the air bag and stripped the two wires a little. I then attached the two wires together and reinsulated them.

Once the wheel had been fitted I started the car and hey presto... NO WARNING LIGHT!!!! hence HAPPY AS LARRY. I am so excited about my new mod that I am shaking!!! (y) (y) (y)

Cheers
Rich

NOT SO HAPPY(n) (n) (n)

hi all,

since driving around for a while I have discovered the following problems:
1. horn no longer works
2. air bag light has come on
3. indicators no longer cancel automatically

I know why the horn and aribag lights have come on and can probably fix them but the indicators?

any ideas on how to fix this?

cheers
rich

Christ must have been one of my first posts on here.

Another thing i have since learned from the Cinqs with airbags, they have different front seat belts, well mine did anyway, if you remove the rear panels top reveal the seatbelt reals they are much bigger as they are the pretensioner type, that once in an accident are not usable.

Of course i found this out after a large truck took me out on a round-about.

Anyway sounds to me like you have done something wrong if you have no horn and the indicators do not cancel.

If you bought the correct MOMO boss you should have received a round plastic item which snaps onto the steering column and has 2 brass rings on the back of it to make the horn contacts and cancel the indicators, the steering wheel then slips on top of this and gets bolted in place.

Aaron.

I forgot to mention I broke a creamy plastic circulat thing when removing the wheel. I am pretty sure the boss is correct as I ordered it direct from MOMO. I am also pretty sure the horn no longe works as I pulled out the wired as i turned the wheel full lock and I heard a snap. It is not lik ethe oridinal 'boss' and allows for less movement. any help again is very much appreciated.

Cheers
Rich

Back