Technical Removing Air-Bag steering wheel, safely?

Currently reading:
Technical Removing Air-Bag steering wheel, safely?

On my '98 Cinq. (RHD but from Germany), has an air-bag wheel, & before anyone says its just the wheel it's not. Above the seatbelt on the drivers side its a got a sticker in 4 languages stating the air-bag gas discharge system has to be checked/replaced in Dec 2007, and I have moved the centre section of the wheel, which is held in place very tightly, just far enough to be able to see the air-bag from the side.

I don't like the wheel as I have a v.nice MOMO sitting in a box that was originally bought for my 'grale but was only used for 3 months till I replaced that with a genuine Abarth wheel. :D

Therefore my question is this, has anyone removed an air-bag equipped wheel from their car safely, as I do not want the thing going off in my face, as the Haynes manual just points you in the direction of FIAT? :confused:

Cheers Aaron.

check with your insurance about any increases when i had my corsa *spit* i asked vauxhall *spit* to disconnect my passenger airbag to put my car seat in the front and they said to contact insurance first when i did they wanted a stupid money as they say its makes the car unsafe without them :( my argument is some cars have airbags u can turn off yourself :(

panda_gal said:
check with your insurance about any increases when i had my corsa *spit* i asked vauxhall *spit* to disconnect my passenger airbag to put my car seat in the front and they said to contact insurance first when i did they wanted a stupid money as they say its makes the car unsafe without them :( my argument is some cars have airbags u can turn off yourself :(

Yeah thats right, many/most cars now have this function as I think there was many cases where toddlers/babies in rear facing child seats were actually killed by the air-bags forcing them in to the seat & suffocating them & its possibly now legislated that you have to be able to turn off the passenger side one because of this? Could be wrong. :(

I feel as my car may be one of a few if any other Cinq's fitted with one, and it originally being a German personal import it probably meets different standards & air-bag fitting may not be accounted for. :rolleyes:

Plus of course MOMO steering wheels & boses may not be as safe as an air-bag equipped wheel but better than a standard non air-bag equipped one as for many years, they have been made to collapse, (TVR still use MOMO/Nardi with no air-bags) which is just as well cos I wouldn't fancy hitting my head off it :bang:

Did you get a handbook/manual with the car? There, should be some mention of a fuse controlling this then.

Surely removing the shrouding from the steering column should reveal some kind of wiring which you can disconnect.

Liam

bloomfieldliam said:
Did you get a handbook/manual with the car? There, should be some mention of a fuse controlling this then.

Surely removing the shrouding from the steering column should reveal some kind of wiring which you can disconnect.

Liam

No, the FIAT Cinquecento owners handbook has 2 pages (42/43) of referance to the airbag none of which really says more than if anything goes wrong with it bring it back to us!

Plus there is no fuse listed for it. :confused:

I thought I would resurrect this thread so I can inform all on my safe air-bag removal.

1st I disconnected the battery & left the car for an hour (don't actually believe you need to do this as there are no wires attached anywhere to the air-bag system). I then proceeded to inspect the wheel to see if there was any way it could be removed. Behind the 2 spokes you can see the faint outline of a little door either side that can be pried open with a screw driver, this reveals 2 Allen bolts either side which when unbolted releases the air-bag with the centre of the wheel attached. Once out this reveals the air-bag gas discharge system which is held in place with 3 torx screws, remove carefully as there is a nice big sticker on it saying not to hit with anything. Extract and its just like a normal wheel now with 24mm bolt holding steering wheel in place. :)

Just make sure you get the correct boss as my local Halfruads sold me the wrong one which I can turn the wheels with but have no horn, no indicator cancel, oh and about an inch gap all the way round the steering wheel boss so I can see right inside the steering column, needless to say the correct MOMO only boss is on its way for the weekend. :bang:

Aaron.

To be honest, at 1st I was leaving tread marks & not the rubber kind :D

But once I got into it I realised there was nothing to fear as there was no electrical connections & I therefore deduced that it must only be activated with a large shock/bump/bang so I wasn't intending on doing any of those things so felt comfortable with it, so much so that I think I could easily remove one now in under 30mins (y)

If you plan on doing it, follow as I've said & you shouldn't go wrong ;)

Oh & make sure you get correct boss, as only MOMO do one for the replacment of air-bag wheels. :)

Aaron.

Wow, the only Cinq with an airbag!

Cool, seems a shame to remove it though but then maybe you could sell it!

If it would still work that is?

Liam

bloomfieldliam said:
Wow, the only Cinq with an airbag!

Cool, seems a shame to remove it though but then maybe you could sell it!

If it would still work that is?

Liam

I know what you mean about removing it, but to be honest I really didn't like the look of the air-bag wheel, it has been likened to a rugby ball on more than one ocassion. :D

& my Fiat Abarth 130TC wheel looks so much better :cool:

Unfortunatley, I did some investigateing work with a stanley knife as at 1st I was very unsure of it, incase it went off in my face, so all though the air-bag and discharge system where removed intact, the rest of the wheel was unusable, so I just binned the lot :eek:

But it proves that there are Cinq's out there with air-bags, although there's now 1 less of them :)

Aaron.

J333EVO said:
But it proves that there are Cinq's out there with air-bags, although there's now 1 less of them :)

Aaron.
Do you also hunt Tigers!?!

Ah, well I thought you could've got a ridiculous sum of money for it on Ebay.

Liam

Back