Technical Removed all smog equiptment

Currently reading:
Technical Removed all smog equiptment

SHERMAN41

On my ‘78 124 I’ve removed all smog equipment.(air pump,all hard lines) I caped off all holes in engine bay. just for efficient operation I believe I need an EGR valve in line between exhaust manifold and intake. I’ll half to find some sort of vacuum to opperate it.
my question is do I need a working EGR valve, if so I’m sure I’m not the first to run into this problem.
Any ideas on hot to make the system loop work to improve the cars proformance.

thanks for any help

On my ‘78 124 I’ve removed all smog equipment.(air pump,all hard lines) I caped off all holes in engine bay. just for efficient operation I believe I need an EGR valve in line between exhaust manifold and intake. I’ll half to find some sort of vacuum to opperate it.
my question is do I need a working EGR valve, if so I’m sure I’m not the first to run into this problem.
Any ideas on hot to make the system loop work to improve the cars proformance.

thanks for any help
Further to what I said in your other thread,with regards to specific smog equipment, some years ago low mileage engines were sold in this country from Japan for certain Asian cars as a cheap replacement engine as most allegedly had only done 50K, they were not always a good option in some cases due to the cylinder heads having extra ports etc. for the Japanese smog laws, so when you got a bare engine to fit the English car manifolds etc. could be a problem. So I would check no odd ports or pipes etc.

I guess EGR not my main problem, that’s just for emissions, my issue is the “run-on”, the unit is stock, even the manafolds are stamped “Fiat”,,
I just have to solve the “run-on” issue. I ****ed with the “”Gupt” unit on the drivers fender inside engine bay. Also called “ignition, idle flow shut-off, Diverter valve by-pass”
They have vac ports but nothing had been hooked to them in the past, I just screwed with that kob thingie. I still can’t get a straight answer as to what really dose.
Thanks for the info

I guess EGR not my main problem, that’s just for emissions, my issue is the “run-on”, the unit is stock, even the manafolds are stamped “Fiat”,,
I just have to solve the “run-on” issue. I ****ed with the “”Gupt” unit on the drivers fender inside engine bay. Also called “ignition, idle flow shut-off, Diverter valve by-pass”
They have vac ports but nothing had been hooked to them in the past, I just screwed with that kob thingie. I still can’t get a straight answer as to what really dose.
Thanks for the info
That “ignition, idle flow shut-off, Diverter valve by-pass” may have been Fiats answer to the "run on" problem caused by the smog equipment. A sort of way of killing the engine stone dead when you switch off.
Modern diesels have an electronic throttle that the butterfly closes totally to kill it when ignition off.

Back