REMOVAL OF DPF UNIT from Multi-JET Engine

Currently reading:
REMOVAL OF DPF UNIT from Multi-JET Engine

Froglegs, have a look in here. I don't know if the fault you have mentioned is listed but if not go to the Seidici section and ask the question or click the "downloads" tab at the top of that section (link) to see if it mentioned in any of the manuals/handbooks that Davren has uploaded. (y)

Thanks Tony

attached is the dashboard light problem

Attachments

• seidici dashboard warning light.pdf
    71.7 KB · Views: 153
An update on driving without a DPF unit.

Last week the oil warning light came on so I checked the oil level and found it to be well above the top notch on the dipstick.

So I changed the oil and oil filter immediately and made sure that the oil level was up 3/4 of the indicated range on the dipstick.

Then I connected the OBDII reader and tried to re-set the oil degradation counter with FIATECUSCAN - however I was not successful.

Unfortunately FIATECUSCAN does not yet support the SEDICI but I can reset other indicators using the ALFA 156 options for the 8Valve 1.9 Multi-Jet.

Whenever I start the car the oil warning light flashes for about 1 min and then turns off. So the system still thinks that the oil has degraded and needs a change.

If anyone else knows of a tool to reset the oil degradation counter please let me know.

what is the best advice?
I am thinking strongly of removing the DPF and remapping the ECU on my sedici 1.9 mulitjet diesel.
how will this effect the car.
car currently regenerates every 180miles aprox.

You are asking an emotive? question and also a question with many possible attached issues.

My general views are:

DPF regeneration reduces fuel efficency and thus economy - NOT very green

DPFs clean/trap those horrible sub micron, cancer causing contanminants from diesels engines - GREAT health bonus points but NOT very green (see regeneration)

DPFs lower overall engine performance due to lower free flow exhaust and back pressure

DPF usability and acceptability very much depends on personal vehicle usage profiles. As time has gone by and technology improved DPF issues are SLOWLY becoming less of an issue.

I'm sure I've missed loads of other stuff but two final items may help you make you mind up.

1) Diesel cars post Jan 2009 (I think that is the date) were required by EU law to have DPFs fitted unless they could meet the emmission standards require. (Euro 4 / Euro 5). To my knowledge only the 13. Multijets could achieve Euro 4 with no DPF. For Euro 5 I think all diesel engines require DPFs.

2) UK MOT emission testing levels have not yet caught up with 1) They will eventually.

3) There is the ever present insurance issue/question "is your car standard and not modified"

My personal approach is go ask your insurance company first! I've made many mods to vehicles over the years and NEVER yet been loaded as a result. Come clean up front and you should have no problems for many simple and modest changes. Buck the system or try to hide from the system then if you get caught you will regret it for ever (unless you emigrate and join another insurance community).

I may remove my DPF and have an ECU remap as my car is a 2005 model, well pre 2009/10 but before doing so I will check with my insurance company.

Lets be straight and clear here. Every UK insurance company will (within reason) do everything they can to void an insurance claim. If they void it you pay for the rest of your life and/or go bankrupt. Also you may never ever get affordable insurance again.

Yes I'm going way OTT with this feedback but if a member of your family was run over by me and I'd removed my DPF and my insurance company claim I was not insured and you were left to somehow get compensation/damages/etc etc all on you own then you would be well *issed off.

Any insured item has to be "as insured at declaration" or "as notifed" Simple, clear and unambiguous.

Flame me now .... I have my fully insured, certified and very itchy fireproof underwear on.

Thank you for all your information. Would I be correct in thinking that pre 2009 cars do not legally require a DPF? and if that is the case they would not be an issue with future emission tests.
has any one had the DPF completely removed with a remap if so I would like to hear the results.

I'm led to believe even a post 2009/2010 car with DPF removed will pass the current UK emmission MOT test levels.....till they change. The lagality of DPF required or not is actually a manufacturer homoligation issue. And even this is not clear cut as it would appear that some older Euro 4 models reaching end of production had an exemption from Euro 5 requirements. Clouded further by some manufacturers producing Euro 4/5 cars before the 'required' date.

Anybody seriously interested in this stuff and wanting to make informed decisions should actually do their own full research. I have not done full research and am unlikely to do so till I have my own decisions to make.

I can have the DPF removed by cutting the box removing filter and welding back up the box then the car is re-mapped. from what I believe this is successful, I just would like further information.

1.will this effect the turbo as the back pressure from the exhaust will now be considerably lower.

2. another proposal was to fit magnatec which apparently eliminates carbon leading to a constant clean DPF filter so therefore i can leave the filter in place (this seems like witchcraft)

Please advise.

going to have the DPF filter removed Tomorrow and remap. Cost e350.
Will keep you all informed of the progress and car behaviour after the delete is complete.
Currently the 1.9 multijet diesel is regenerating every 60 / 80 miles.

travelled the 70 mile journey this morning and had the DPF filter removed and remapped the 70 mile journey to the garage resulted in 6.3 ltr/100km and DPF regeneration took place. On the journey home I averaged 5.2ltr / 100km.
did notice too much of a difference in the driving of the car maybe a little livelier.
the garage technician advised that if the EM light came back on that there may be a problem with the fuel pressure sensor as this was showing a fault prior to DPF delete so he removed that fault from the computer.
Will update on progress or lack of after another 300 miles.
Keeping my fingers crossed that this is the last of my DPF issue.

Another 400 miles traveled since my last update on the DPF delete and remap.
so far so good very pleased with my decision, car seems to be running better than ever, oil levels are good, no warning lights on and fuel consumption has improved to 5.2 ltr/100km.
best of all no DPF regeneration. would certainly recoment that all car owners with DPF should do the DPF delete and remap.
Will report back again at a later date.

another 500 miles now covered since my last update and I have to say that removing DPF and remapping is certainly something that I would recommend to all car owners with DPF issues.
car is certainly running a lot better more acceleration, quieter, and better fuel economy.I have checked oil levels regularly and levels are remaining constant and oil quality remaining clean. I presently cannot see any downside to the decision and initially I was skeptical about claims made by garages and technicians that carryout this work.

Thanks for keeping the updates running.

I'm not really skeptical about what garages and technicians say about DPF removal (well with regard to early generation DPF implementations) Pre 1st DPF model then I would expect a 50mpg to 60mpg fuel consumption. With 1st generation DPFs this drops to around 40mpg with also other minor losses.

Later "active" DPF implementations seem to be better but still will not be able to match a non DPF installation because to burn soot requires energy and that energy can only come from burning fuel of another expensive fluid. Energy used to burn carbon with no net propulsion is a net loss.

I would add that DPF removal has to be carefully qualified with respect to Euro4/Euro5 regualtions and the insurance "modified" status. The only people who can rule/sanction/quote on this is the underwriters. I've not yet gone down this route but I'm fairly sure that my 2005 Croma with DPF removed would not be a proble for the insurance company. HOWEVER I would want this in writing or a call reference number just to cover ass.

I removed my DPF unit months ago but the ECU still kept doing on regenerations.

Yesterday I had the ECU remapped to remove the DPF code. The car worked fine today and I will report back after the next 1,000 miles. For the record I have also put a blanking plate on the EGR valve.

Thank you Volvo Saint for updates.
I can honestly say that the remapping will solve problems, I am very pleased with the results of DPF removal and remapping, I did not blank off the EGR valve so I am very interested in how this works for you please keep us all updated on egr blank.

Update after 2 months of further driving.

Very pleased with results. DPF regeneration eliminated and fuel consumption is lower by 0.6 of a liter per 100km.

Oil level remains constant and no longer contaminated by diesel fuel.

Blanketed EGR valve working with no problems except I have a new error code from the ECU about the EGR valve - to be expected.

The car is fine - is just a pity that FIAT basically ignored my problem and I had to find my own solution.

I think you will find that Fiat were not picking on you or delibaretly ignoring and Mercedes, BMW, Citroen, Peugot, Volvo, ...... and all the rest including Japanese and Far East manufacturers will have the same repsonse.

Personally I don't think I will ever buy a diesel car again. If you burn crude oil then expect to get ****/smog,soot etc out. In the UK you pay a premium for diesel due to stupid tax rules and now in Europe we have to pay extra to clean a dirty fuel up. For the forseable future in the UK petrol is the only viable performance and cost effective solution.

A real shame because modern diesel engines had (or should I say) had so much to offer.

Update after 2 months of further driving.

Very pleased with results. DPF regeneration eliminated and fuel consumption is lower by 0.6 of a liter per 100km.

Oil level remains constant and no longer contaminated by diesel fuel.

Blanketed EGR valve working with no problems except I have a new error code from the ECU about the EGR valve - to be expected.

The car is fine - is just a pity that FIAT basically ignored my problem and I had to find my own solution.

Hi volvo_saint,
Can you please advise me where/garage you got the dpf removed? I have same problem with dpf and haven't found anyone yet in Malta.

Thanks in advance my friend

Back