General Remote Central Locking

Currently reading:
General Remote Central Locking

Mercia

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
instead of going for a universal kit like that, i'd be looking at getting parts from another punto that has central locking from a scrap yard. more chance of it all fitting properly then :)

VERY easy if the wiring is there (I've got a mk1 S and it didn't have jack), but if you haven't you can still pretty much work it out if you go to a breakers yard and get the right multiplugs from doors and wiring harness etc (got mine for a tenner, although I removed it myself and it took me three hours:eek: ), if they'd got it out it would be £50:p

the universal ones are dodgy, VERY slow and often screw up, my mate has one on his ford ka (a joke in itself, I will never work on it again, just a joke piece of junk manufacterd for way less than that of a punto yet they cost more?) and it often takes a few attempts for it to actually close, in which time it can overheat and give up totally, absolute useless. its actually quicker to turn car off, pop bonnet, disconnect battery, close bonnet, close doors manually then go than it is to use the universal thing:D

for a mk1 (or ~ish) you need:-
-central locking motor for each of your doors (either 2 or 4), here I found I didn't need the entire lockmechanism, JUST the white plastic bit that clips in -
underneath to the normal manual lock.
-door wiring for each of the doors
-cabin wiring that matchs up with each of the doors (2 door is very simple here, as 4door requires you to pull the b pillar plastic and carpet and sill covers etc etc, very fidely and tedious work, esp when its hot
-auxiliary fuse box (not sure if mk2's have them or just a different normal fusebox)
-wiring to fuse box, you can take part of the loom (if you follow the correct colours etc), or the whole thing and do a complete rewire.
-central locking computer, on a mk2 AFAIK its part of the dashcomputer (got another name though), but on a mk1 its a little black box at opposite end of car to the fusebox? with a little flashy light!

If your coming to stanford I'll show and explain it all to you using my car as a demo (did it like 4weeks ago, and took me 3days to strip scrap car of goodies, then strip my car, and rebuild it all with goodies!)

add to that, if the scrap car doesn't have the original key, don't worry, I'm pretty sure that META do a yellow relay and blippers for mk2 aswell! if not I'm sure there will be some way of bodging it all up, again, if coming to stanford I'll check it out for you!

Last edited:
i think your talking ********,
i got my kit off ebay took a couple hours to fit by myself its very simple
open box plug wires in
take door cards off
bend the braces to fit into your door with a pair of pliers
screw them in attach them to the lock mechanism
pull the wires through
put door cars bk on
strip a small section from your cigarett lighter wires
wrap it around it tape it up
and shizam universal centrel locking kit wired up

one of the best investments ive made on my car yet

evol1 said:
i think your talking ********,
i got my kit off ebay took a couple hours to fit by myself its very simple
open box plug wires in
take door cards off
bend the braces to fit into your door with a pair of pliers
screw them in attach them to the lock mechanism
pull the wires through
put door cars bk on
and shizam universal centrel locking kit wired up

one of the best investments ive made on my car yet
interesting way to word a post :rolleyes:
the original poster has been given opinions and choices.
following your method it sounds slapdash at best.
it may work but i also would prefer retro fitting OEM c/locking components.
or even better upgrading ot a model fitted from spec

well i was origanly gonna go down scrapys and get the hole locking kit but then i needed the key remote and this bit and that bit which okay i could have got some parts from maplins and changed myself but then i looked on ebay i thought £30 inc delivery
but look at it this way
go down pub get pissed and wait fro postie or
hunt here and there and take this bit and that bit blah blah blah

evol1 said:

Why not just use skotch blocks? :confused:

They cost pence.

Steve

Heh, sorry, it's for a 2000 Mk2a 5 Door. Think I gonna leave it a little while now anyway, scrapped my upgrade list when i booked a holiday instead...

Back