General Remote Central Locking Kit

Currently reading:
General Remote Central Locking Kit

Punto1990

Hi,

Sorry to post another thread about this but I couldnt find the answer I was looking for.

I have a 2003 mk2 active sport it has central locking when I use the key but I am wanting to upgrade this to remote central locking. I am wanting to know if this kit would work for my car:

http://www.meanmachines.biz/store/remote-central-locking-kit-10.html

Your opinions would be much appreciated

Thanks K x

I cant see why it wouldnt work :)
Looks fairly Similiar to the RightClick Kits that you can buy :)

That set will allow you to Open and close the car by remote
If you have the Key Cut - you can open and Close the Car and boot + Fuel cap
You can use it to turn on the iginition, But Please NOTE!!

That Unless You get a chip Put inside that key - and have it reprogrammed to work with the car - the car WILL NOT start
As the Immboliser will activate and basically it wont start (you'll get the Key Code Light + Store a code in the ECU )

Ziggy

you could always selotape your old key to the inside of the dash right next to the sensor. means you dont technically have a immobiliser as its always un-armed but it solves that issue for free :)

Why not use a remote locking key fob with the standard original Fiat key.

Like i do :)
Its handy if you want to let your mate put something in your car
Who's known as been a joker and moving your car or something

As wouldn't be able to then :p

you tend to find tho - those type of Key fobs - the plastic isn't strong enough to turn a key without twisting /spraining before it breaks when trying to release the steering lock / A stiff door lock

Ziggy

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies.

So if I went and got the kit sent a link for I would need to get the immobilizer re-set and also the key??.

But if I went for the original Fiat remote key would I still need to get the immobilizer and key re-set??

Thanks K x

Right The Kit is to open and close the car :)
It WONT affect the immboliser if its just for central locking

ONLY IF - you wish to use the remote central locking Key - then you'll need to have it programmed into the car (and Put a chip in it)

Tbh - Many of us do this

Use the Blipper to Unlock car
When were in car - use original blue key :)

Ziggy

if u already have keyed central locking, but want to upgrade to remote central locking, get a hawk upgrade kit. only cost 20 quid, easy to install (full guide on the forum as well) and works a treat. use the fob to unlock and the original key to start the car. no messing about getting keys coded to use with the immob and no risks of no immob if u put the old key in the steering column. only negative is having a fob and key instead of it all in the one unit, but least u know the key is strong and stable if u need to manually unlock.

Having the remote locking fob on the key is a good thing. Takes up some space so you can't hang every key you own on the car key. The excess weight of heavy key rings will wear the ignition lock. And risk scratches around the boot lid lock when they jangle against the paint.

Last edited:
Bit of a bummer though with brass keys :(

My mate had a brand new Honda 250 G5 (back in the good old days when proper blokes used bikes :)) My XL 250 was nearly new. (Gibber that WAS a top totty bike :()

His ignition lock failed after 6 months and the paint around his steering head was a mess. Mine was all fine.

He had a zillion keys hanging off his. I had mine on a dog collar clip so the main keys stayed in my pocket.

Moral - dont hang heavy keys from your ignition lock.

Last edited:
I got the proper Fiat kit (made by meta) from ebay for £35. A doddle to fit and you don't have to worry about the key.

Back