Tuning Relocation of engine breather pipe

Currently reading:
Tuning Relocation of engine breather pipe

gordinir8

Established member
I don't know what is happening to other engines but my breather pipe has quiet a lot of oil in it. I wonder what this guy has done to his engine, he has return the hose back to the engine block, is this a regular mod for those that want to discard the standard carburetor?:confused:

Thomas

Attachments

• oil fumes.jpg
    oil fumes.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 342
I think some people, and the very early engines just vent the vapour at the back of the engine bay. The setup in the image looks neat but 'm not sure it would be very efficient as the crankcase pressure might be against it. If there is too much oil in the pipe I would suspect a missing flame-trap, broken spring or missing/worn disk in the filler-cap or worst case, simply a worn engine; maybe piston-rings or valve-guides?

I would go for the filler-cap issue as most likely...simplest explanation first.

Apart from the beast of a carby and the oil cooler/filter you seem to have an electrical fuel pump because the breather appears to vent back to the engine through where the original mechanical fuel pump rod would be. If this is so then as Peter has said above, you'll get a fair bit of pressurized oil in the vent tube. This completely defeats the purpose of the vent. Does your dipstick pop out from time to time?
Most engines return the crankcase gases to the inlet manifold or directly onto the road which is generally frowned upon nowadays. Plumbing the gases back through the engine via the inlet side was one of the earliest pollution control measures.
I may be completely wrong, but that's it looks like from your photo.
Chris

I think some people, and the very early engines just vent the vapour at the back of the engine bay. The setup in the image looks neat but 'm not sure it would be very efficient as the crankcase pressure might be against it. If there is too much oil in the pipe I would suspect a missing flame-trap, broken spring or missing/worn disk in the filler-cap or worst case, simply a worn engine; maybe piston-rings or valve-guides?

I would go for the filler-cap issue as most likely...simplest explanation first.

Well Peter my filler cup is ok, spring is in its position and seems to seal but i will check again.
Now the flame trap is missing but i don't think that this will stop the oil getting to the hose anyway.
Regarding the piston rings considering that my spark plugs have the correct color and there is no oil emissions measured plus that i have good compression i think that this is not the issue also.
Not sure about the valve guides. But since i am going to replace the engine with a 650 if it is something more than a simple filler cap i am not going to mess with it.

The main reason i am asking for this is because as i have state in the past my car produce lot of fumes that eventually comes to the cabin and it is impossible to drive with closed windows. I just wonder if this oil that returns to the filter and then again to the intake has to do with it somehow. If i remove the breather and direct it out of the engine like the good old days will i have a cleaner engine? I think as soon as my car return to street i will try it to see.

Apart from the beast of a carby and the oil cooler/filter you seem to have an electrical fuel pump because the breather appears to vent back to the engine through where the original mechanical fuel pump rod would be. If this is so then as Peter has said above, you'll get a fair bit of pressurized oil in the vent tube. This completely defeats the purpose of the vent. Does your dipstick pop out from time to time?
Most engines return the crankcase gases to the inlet manifold or directly onto the road which is generally frowned upon nowadays. Plumbing the gases back through the engine via the inlet side was one of the earliest pollution control measures.
I may be completely wrong, but that's it looks like from your photo.
Chris

Chris, this is not my engine, found the picture at you-tube:

This video has many engines with this hose modification. And i have seen it in other pictures also so maybe out friends in Italy now something about it.
I have to agree that doesn't look very sensible. My dipstick never pops out of the engine.

Thomas

Sorry Thomas - I misinterpreted your post.

That engine looks like it is fitted with the Nanni Ricambi modified crankcase cover. It lets you fit an external oil filter/cooler as well as a few other goodies by the looks of it.

My vent runs down the front of the engine and out onto the road (apologies to all the environmentalists out there) and I checked it today - virtually no oil in it.

Chris

Oil fumes could be from anywhere on this engine although obviously there are limited ways that it can enter that pipe. Any leaks which happen inside the cowling, such as from the base of the barrels or from the push-rod tubes can get into the airflow. The 594 engine I bought was running perfectly but the entire engine and inside the cowlings had a thin layer of oil mist... I think it was from development small leaks of oil.

Hi Thomas,

Looking at the various engines in your youtube video, I can see what appears to be a breather pipe attached just below the oil filler cap and going to somewhere at the rear of the engine (see images at 13, 26, 29, 32, 39 secs etc).

I suspect the additional pipe from the fuel pump mounting to a modified valve cover is to allow crankcase pressure to travel more freely to the valve cover and then out through the breather pipe just under the oil filler cap.

If you think about it, how does the crankcase pressure get from the crankcase to the valve cover and out the breather normally? Up the pushrod tubes? which are also draining the excess oil from the valve gear? Perhaps it's an attempt to prevent the crankcase gases from also picking up oil droplets and carrying them out the breather pipe.

Other reasons might be to prevent oil loss, leading to a low oil level with possible engine damage (starved bearings) particularly under conditions of oil surge (heavy braking, hard cornering, oops! I nearly said hard acceleration there.... :) ). It's not unusual on race/modified engines to run slightly more clearance between pistons and cylinders (especially on air-cooled engines), higher compression ratios and higher revs, these 3 factors can result in more oil being consumed or lost due to blow-by.

I reckon that the hard-to-see breather pipe in the video is actually directed into an oil catch tank and doesn't vent onto the road. (unlikely to allowed in motorsport!).

So any of you guys with a breather pipe venting onto the road, please copy the racing guys and fit a catch tank. It doesn't have to anything elaborate, just a sturdy plastic bottle will do fine. Please don't be dropping oil on roads,
some of us ride motorcycles ! (How's the BMW by the way?).

In case you think that an occasional drop of oil falling on the road is of no consequence, think again. There's 568cc (or ml) in a pint. There's 5280 ft in a mile. If you drop 1 drop every 10 feet, that 528cc in a mile, almost 1 pint!
At that rate, a Fiat 500 could be out of oil in a few miles. :eek:

(I think my maths are correct, if not, I'm citing old age, deteriorating eyesight and being way past my bedtime! :D ).

Re:- the practice of recirculating the crankcase gases (on an older, worn engine = oil fumes/mist!), apart from preventing the venting of oily fumes into the atmosphere, it was found that creating negative pressure in the crankcase (by essentially 'sucking' out the fumes) helped to avoid engine oil leaks especially past seals.

When faced with a badly worn engine in the past, I often had to vent the breather to the atmosphere and blank-off the connection to the carb. in order to stop the engine choking on it's own fumes. If your worn engine peters out when left idling for a while - try disconnecting the breather pipe connection at the carb to see if this is what might be happening. Some Fiat carbs have a type of fibre? disc valve on the throttle spindle which is supposed to stop the engine drawing in fumes at idle - I've seen these with bits broken-off or incorrectly fitted to the throttle shaft....when re-assembling a carb, try to put things back as they're meant to be - helps if you understand what all the parts do...

Rambling over.....
(for tonight :) )

Al.

Last edited:
Hi Thomas, I have vented the engine from the standard exit in the filler cap to a small catch can with a vapour filter (see pic) I have no problems with the dipstick or blow back and I just monitor the oil level and empty when required.

Ian.

Attachments

• DSCN2400.jpg
    DSCN2400.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 57
Hi Thomas, I have vented the engine from the standard exit in the filler cap to a small catch can with a vapour filter (see pic) I have no problems with the dipstick or blow back and I just monitor the oil level and empty when required.

Ian.

Hi Ian,

Very nice, love the level indicator. (y)

AL.

Back