Technical Release Bearing

Currently reading:
Technical Release Bearing

JamesL

Hi guys

My girlfriend picked up her new 500 about 3 weeks ago now, the cars just ticked over 500 miles. Unfortunately had to visit the dealer today for 4 things already...

Tracking off (not a huge issue but after 500 miles? Even on a new car surprising)

Mileage and clocks flashing (again, probably just an update but annoying aftr 3 weeks!)

Rear view mirror fell off! Came straight off in my gf's hand the other day, very odd. Just needed gluing back on.

Finally, there has been a slightly funny vibration/rattling noise when changing up a gear, particularly in the lower gears. I thought at first maybe its just a loose exhaust mount or similar, but mentioned it to the dealer. The tech came back and says its the release bearing in the gearbox! AFAIK I think its done it since we had it (believe it or not today was the first time I drove it!), but I cant believe a brand new car would have a dodgy release bearing?

The garage need it for the whole day, its a gearbox out job.

Anyone else had any issues with their release bearing, or offer any advice on anything related? My big concern is that if it has a problem on this scale after 3 weeks and 500 miles, have we managed to buy a friday afternoon lemon?

I dont know what the time limit is, but I'm tempted to speak to the dealer about rejecting the car - I dont know whether I'm being paranoid and over reacting, so would appreciate input please guys?

Typical but its a nightmare time for it to happen - we're both so busy as it is, but we'll make time I suppose!

TIA

this i a common problem in alfa. dont reject car as you have bought one of the best cars made this century. Get back to the dealer and get them to contact FIAT. 500 is their baby so don't worry:)

If the car is a diesel, then there is a fix for the clutch vibration. A clutch hydraulic damper that is fitted to another Fiat model with the same engine can be fitted to your car. The results are amazing.

I know - I've had it done - it's easy to fix and inexpensive for Fiat. If this is the problem, there's no need to have the gearbox out or anything involved.

Only problem is that many dealers are ignoring the problem and some are even saying it's a feature of the 500 diesel - idiots!!!!

There is a recent very long thread on this topic that should be of interest - ignore some of the later mails as it went a bit off topic :D.

https://www.fiatforum.com/500/161485-gearbox-clutch-noise-new-500-a.html

I know it's disapointing to have teething problems with a new car but when you think of the many thousands of parts that go to make up a modern car, it's not surprising to find a few 'problems' early on. Stick with it - your 500 is something special as you will come to realise.

Last edited:
you have had a couple problems and they are all being fixed. You have no grounds to reject the car.

Yes they're being fixed, but why should I have these problems on a brand new car?

Cheers baxwalker, have just seen that thread and posted in there to keep things legible!

Hi guys

Finally, there has been a slightly funny vibration/rattling noise when changing up a gear, particularly in the lower gears. I thought at first maybe its just a loose exhaust mount or similar, but mentioned it to the dealer. The tech came back and says its the release bearing in the gearbox! AFAIK I think its done it since we had it (believe it or not today was the first time I drove it!), but I cant believe a brand new car would have a dodgy release bearing?

The garage need it for the whole day, its a gearbox out job.

Anyone else had any issues with their release bearing, or offer any advice on anything related?

James, I'm in Reading on Friday and Saturday staying at the Crowne Plaza, Caversham Bridge and if you would like corroboration that the problem is/was the same as mine I don't mind having a listen. Also, if mine is fixed, as I have been told today that it has then if the noise is the same as mine you can be assured that Fiat have a solution. Mind you, if mine is still the same we can cry into our collective beers.... You're paying.:D

Yes they're being fixed, but why should I have these problems on a brand new car?

In a perfect world you woudn't have problems with a car ever.
They are fixing the car and at this point that's all you can reasonably expect.
Even the american "lemon Laws" give dealers 1 chance to fix serious or dangerous faults.
And I'm pretty sure theres a few people around who wish we had as consumer focused legislation here.

Back