Technical release bearing Qs

Currently reading:
Technical release bearing Qs

My clutch release bearing is making a noise but the clutch is fine. I know this as i get this loud whirring scrape noise which totaly dissapears when i press the clutch pedal. Is their anyway to lube it? also the noise is louder from 1 day to the next, some days it can be very quiet but other very loud. Anyway to sort this? I know some will say replace the whole clutch but id rather not as the actual clutch is fine. What will driving with this noise do? its very annoying when its loud. Thanks

Mine was doing a similar thing, as soon as i pressed the clutch in it disapeared, all i was told was to ignore it. I don't thnk there is any way to lube it TBH. Think you'll just have to wait till your clutch goes and replace it. Mine cost me About £50 to buy a new one.

You can just change the relase bearing on its own, but it envolves removing the gearbox to replace it. So while youre there you may aswell replace the clutch plate at the same time. Saves having to remove the gearbox a second time if the clutch gives up a short while later.

As long as the release bearing doesnt break up meantime of course. Never ignore a noise, it is a mechanical complaint of impending failure usually, although most of my 1st cars had release bearing whirrs.... As above, fix it and change the clutch driven plate and cover plate, check the release fork while you are there. (y)

Back