Red Key?

Currently reading:
Red Key?

A

Ash

i've heard about the red key from this forum and don't know what it means? i've just got my bravo and the only key i have is blue

many things have been written on this forum regarding red keys. I also do not have a red key, well at least not one that fits (long story). Look back through the pages for other messages titled "red key" or "what's the red key for?" and you'll find plenty of info. The red key is only really any use if the **** hits the fan anyway.
Regards.

YOU NEED THE RED KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are planing on keeping your car a long time you need the red key,Fiat say you need to start you car every 3 to 6 month with the red key to keep the code it stored in the ECU`s memory.I didn`t get a red key,one day i went to start my car and nothing happened only a little red light came on saying "code"£900 later i was on the road again.take my word for it,its a time-bomb.

Long story cut short

Basically you need a red key in case your engine ever fxxxs up. It has a special code built in it. £800 to £900 from fiat for a new one as they have to replace all the locks and engine management unit. If you bought you car from a dealer, go back and see them, it seems to be against the law to sell without the red key.

Re: Long story cut short

I got my Bravo minus its red key 5 month ago from a garage but not a main dealer. I did get money knocked off but you say its illegal to sell one without a red key, is there anything i could do about it now?

NOT ILLEGAL

It isn't against the law, it only says "must" in the handbook, its something to use AGAINST a dealer to get money off if it hasn't got one!

I think the misunderstanding might be my fault from the buyers guide. Sorry.

N

Re: NOT ILLEGAL

If they told you it was sold without its red key then they've done nothing wrong. Note that very late series 2 Bravos don't have the red key system. Don't ask me how you tell them apart though, probably just have a different manual.

I've never heard of this business of having to start it every 3-6 months to 'keep the code'. Sounds like a bit of an old wives tale to me!

red key stuff.

Red key, schmed key!

You need the red key if you ever need to replace your ECU, that much I know. - All to do with the immobiliser.

If you haven't got one, http://www.lostcarkeys.co.uk/ might be able to build you a new one. I've not used them myself, I just found it on a 'www' trawl when I had ECU issues.

In terms of having to use it every 3-6 months - I'll eat my hat if that's true. The code is stored in your ECU's EPROM as far as I know - 10 years minimum guaranteed by most EPROM manufacturers on how long data'll last! Even if it's an EEPROM - it's still 10 years or so guaranteed - otherwise you'd see a lot of cars stopped in the middle of the road!

red key

Absolutely right! Everything I have read says DON'T start the car with the red key. I have owned Bravos for seven years and all my red key does is lurk in a drawer! What is it for!! Presumably,if I need a new ECU I will get a new red key??

Re: red key

The whole point of a red key is to stop people nicking
cars!thats why you get one.

key

the whole point of the red key is to allow people to add and remove keys from the immobliser i.e. if you lost the blue key, you would use the red key to delete that key from memory so it any wannabe thief had your key, they wouldnt be able to start the car.

The red key also allow's additional keys to be added to the system and is also used to allow another copy of a blue key (i think, bearing in mind i dont have any of this key crap on my car)

Also i think people needs to get some facts straight instead of posting thoughts i.e. illegal to sell the car without a red key, or use it to start the car every 3-6 months.

Hang On

In fairness Tipo lad, the Bravo handbook STATES that the red key must be handed over (OK it is not against the law but that is down to interpretation - and as I write contract as part of my role - beleive me I have enough grief with this!)

The Bravo handbook ALSO states that the car needs to be started with the red key every 3 to 6 months.

So before you go blasting people here about posting what they think, look inwards at what you know as well.

Cheers

Nige
Who gets it wrong more than most :0)!

In fairness

last bit got my back up but the first part was spot on!
N

Re: Re: NOT ILLEGAL

Without the red key the car is considered defective because it costs so much to replace. Unless they told you this they are liable.

If you bought private you may well have problems.
If you bought through a dealer you are entitled to quote
the sale of goods act at them.

Does your Fiat have a red Key?

Assuming you have one of the originally supplied blue keys there is a simple way to tell if it should have a red key.

On the metal part of the blue key (on one side only) there is a sort of radio wave symbol (don't know the technical name). If there is a number two (2) next to this symbol you do NOT have a red key. The two indicates the later version of the Fiat CODE immobiliser system devised to overcome the need for the dreadded red key. If there is no number next to the symbol you do need the red key.

Also, according to our local dealer as the Bravo/Brava was nearing the end of its life when the new system was developed it was never fitted to the Bravo/Brava, therefore all models have a red key. Some friends just bought a Brava on a 51 plate and they have a red key which seems to bear that out.

I did wonder

I borrowed a Trofeo off the forecourt and that had a red key on the ring when they sorted the keys out, but I didn't know when they stopped that model.

One thing I could never fathom was why Alfa stopped the red key saga in '97 with the last of the 155's and Fiat didn't do the same.

Red Key

Is there a difference here between Mk 1 Bravos and Mk2's? My handbook says ( I have a Mk 1 )... given its importance, it(red key) should be kept in a safe place and used "only when absolutely necessary." Would like to know!

Nigel in fairness i dont have the key mumbo jumbo, but i am going off information that floats around on the coupe forum and none of them seem to have the 3/6 month problem with the keys, which is the same as your bravo's

Attn Nigel

My handbook (Brava series 2) makes no mention whatsoever of having to start the car every 3 to 6 months with the red key. In fact it says nothing at all about the red key apart from its important and should be kept in a safe place. It also says nothing about advising that you don't use it for daily use, but then it doesn't say that you should either!

So as far as I'm concerned, I have got my facts sorted...