General red key

Currently reading:
General red key

j10efs

Hi guys,here` s another newbie with a key question (yawn) haha
i`ve only got a red key,will i do any damage by using this one all the time,or shud i go get a blue one cut for day 2 day use ? cheers (y)
oh,and while im here....havin a problem with it starting if i turn it off and try to start it again straight away,basicaly it wont!and if it does it runs abit ruff for a minute or so then idles at anything up to 2500rpm! rest of the time its fine.
was thinking idle control valve thingy,can anyone confirm/comment on this? was gona strip it and clean it anyway.thanks

Last edited:

Tris Harris

Top Dog
I'd go and get two blue ones cut just to be safe. Sounds as if the automatic choke is coming on every time you start it up, could be like you say but i wouldn't know where to find it!

Yep you need to get a blue key cut.

You should't drive using the red key, it can be used if needed. But the red key will make the ECU reset periodically. Also I have heard that there is a limit on how many times you can use it...how true this is I don't know.

When you get the new blue key cut..make sure they are infact cutting you a blue key and not a duplicate/clone red key. (y)

kemp2368

does the red key really reset the ecu??? as i need to reset mine but dont want to disconect the batt as not got the radio code

does the red key really reset the ecu??? as i need to reset mine but dont want to disconect the batt as not got the radio code

Apparently so...when and how often i dunno :confused:

And you can ge the radio code again...do a search on here for more info.
You are better off getting the code now, cos you will need to take off your battery sooner or later.

Why does yours need resetting?

edit:

https://www.fiatforum.com/punto/121746-punto-75sx-radio-code.html

I might be wrong but your cars ecu should constantly learn anyways.

It takes about 20 trips for it to learn from removing battery..but i think its an ongoing thing...so by that theory it should re-learn anyways.

But to reset properly you should leave your battery off overnight...best just to find out what your code is for your stereo (y)