Technical Red Key Question

Currently reading:
Technical Red Key Question

sebguest

I know this topic has a fair amount of discussion, but some things are not clear to me. The background to my questions is that I've lost my blue keys :(

1. Apparently it is possible for a good locksmith to clone the Red Key. Is this clone then the same as a red key (i.e. does it open the ECU as well?) or is it the equivalent of a BLUE key?

2. Can anyone tell me how to code in a new key myself? I cannot find anything in the owners manual referring to this procedure. I've heard its simple, but dealers are quoting me 80 euro labour costs to 'code' the new keys.... so if at all possible with some help from you guys, I'd rather do it myself.

Many thanks indeed for any help youre able to give me on this
-SG

timsons can clone a red key for £24, i guess its a similar price elsewhere. a clone will be exactly that, a 2nd red key.

to program new keys you will need at least two blue keys with different codes to each other and different codes to the red key. you can have any valid code on a blue key because the red key will allow the ecu to learn that code.

programing blue keys into the ecu is really easy.
1. insert red key into ignition and turn ignition on, key code light will come on then go out.
2. remove red key and insert first blue key, turn ignition on, ket code light will come on then go out.
3. remove 1st blue key then insert 2nd blue key and turn ignition on, key code light will come on then go out.
4. remove 2nd blue key then insert red key, turn on ignition, ket code light wil come on then go out.
5. remove red key.

thats it easy as that, dont remove a key until the key code light goes out, then you only have a few seconds between the key code light going out and inserting the next key. if you take too long you will need to start again the whole process again.

you could just copy the red key and use it to drive the car. the only problem will be the key code light stays on if you turn the ignition on then off and then on again within a few seconds, but it goes out again if you turn the key to the off position then back to ignition. the car still drives with the key code light on with the red key, or a copy of the red key.

Back