Recommendations for a diesel?

Currently reading:
Recommendations for a diesel?

S

Stephen

Due to my job im going to be needing a good reliable diesel car soon for motorway miles.

It needs to be comfortable, 5 door and executive looking. It will have to be a used model for the meantime until my company has moved forward a little and can afford a brand new one.

What recommendations do people have?

Mondeo TDCi
156 JTD
406 HDi
C5 HDi
Bora TDi
Passat TDi
Toledo TDi

how much is there to spend?

The ones i have shortlisted so far are:

Passat
Mondeo
Laguna
A4

Any ideas what the above are like consumption wise?

I know that the Passatt and the skoda are v good. However dont by the lowest trim or engine level of either range, as they seriously lack acceleration... any tubo'd should be fine. Also, since money is a concern, then a used Octavia SE or above will be much better value as a used buy than the passatt.

Seriously forget the TDCi!
Anything with the VW TDi engine or the Fiat JTD lump and you can't go wrong.
The 1.9TDi will do 500 miles at least on a tank in a Golf/A4/Passat/Seat/Skoda, as will a 1.9JTD. The 2.4 JTD and 2.5TDi are bit less, especially if driven hard.
Octavia's are cool, Fabia VRS' are seriously mad :)
156's are superb, but you need to spend the money on one.
The ultimate..... Audi A4 Cabriolet 2.5 TDi

worshipalpha.gif

The TDCi drives like an old skool diesel, clattery and seriously dull. Its not a "performance diesel" at all. Its a fair chassis as the zetec proves but against the opposition the TDCi is woefull to drive.
Nige

I thought the 130bhp version was pretty rapid, but i've never driven one it's just what people have told me so it could well be ford biased bull.

i get 400 miles on £28 in my 106, you can buy that if you want :D

1.0 and 4 gears doesn't go down well on the motorway though :(

probably wouldn't give the right impression when they pull up in a battered old 106.

I took the Mondeo Ghia TDCi 130PS and the Accord 2.2 CTDi Sport out for a test drive recently and found both to be very impressive. The Mondeo was more fun with it's 6 speed box and the Honda was very smooth and responsive. To be honest, I found very little wrong with either. The Accord is supposed to have a better MPG, but is limited as it is only available in a saloon, whereas the Mondy has a hatch version, and in my case, that was what I was looking for.

The Accord interior was typically Japanese (dull) but you can't fault the exterior on it.

This isn't biased Ford bull, as you couldn't find anyone else who despises them more than me, but I honestly believed that the Mondy was better value than most.

I'd much rather have an Alfa 156 2.4JTD or Audi oil burner, but sadly, they're not on my company car list, so when November comes and I can make my order, I think I'll be plumping for the Mondeo.

BTW, I currently have a Vectra 2.0 DTi which is dull, soggy and lifeless. The engine isn't too bad, but the interior sucks. Dull, dull, dull.

Rob

Anyone know if the Vauxhall CDTi's are any better?

I seen an SRi 1.7 CDTi Corsa, yes, SRi dddieeeseell on the road the other day, and by gum it shifted!!