Recommendation for a battery?

Currently reading:
Recommendation for a battery?

P

Paul R

Hi all, need a powerful battery as i let my last one go with my old car!

I need something to power about 3000wrms, i am not the kind to sit with it playing on full with the engine off! there is also an Xbox in there!

Also i have a power cap at home but never tried it? hear i shouldnt both? oppinions on this?

Cheers

Paul R

P.S. budget is as cheap as possible! also dont care about what it looks like?

Bosch silver or varta silver.

The JTD batt is bigger than the petrol car ones.

Its going in a hgt if thats any help?

@Bill! :)

Will the jtd battery do the job then? the battery tray in the HGT is tiny?

Paul R

bosch silvertop mate complete bargain at £50

it is either that or those yellow ones that are like £190 lol

Hi m8

That place near you do them cheaper still dont they?

Paul R

Unless the tray is smaller than the 1.6 the JTD batt will fit.

yeah mate garage near me still does them not sure if they are cheaper though i think about £45

@tom... will the jtd one be as good as a silver top?

Paul R

re

I had a yellow top and it was a bloody good battery, used it to jump start mine many times without it being charged too! lol

managed to sell mine on ebay for 150 quid though, as it woudlnt fit on the tray in my car now!

Allan

Re: re

Thanks for that allan!lol... so you dont have 1 anymore?

Paul R

re

no as no space, but my mates orver had one and he just blew head gasket so he may consider selling if i cant con him into letting me have it and make space for it in my engine bay with a lump hammer or something!

i will ask him if he'd consider selling it otnight?

Batterys!!

paul at one point it became a bit of a running gag between me and my mates a few years back at the shows who would emerge at the end of the weekend without needing the jump leads lol

I was running an oddesy deep cycle jobbie at the time and it lasted me about half a show season before I had to get the jump leads out before i left a show lol

I replaced it with an Optima red top and have had no probs what so ever since, they are really nice bits of kit and do what they say on top :)

best battery I have ever used and well worth the money, i got mine at trade and it didnt cost much over £100 as I recall
you should be able to pick on up for about £150

The optima yellow, Exide maxxima and Deta deep cycle are essentially the same battery, just different colour cases.

If you're gonna be running your sound with the engine off for long periods its worth thinking about split charge, saves you from worrying about needing a jumpstart.

How do i run 'split charge' i ashume you mean,

Haveing 2 batteries, whould i have to run another cable from the alternator? if so would i need to uprate the alternator?

I am not going to run it much with the engine off! maybe just quitly while i munch on a mcflurry with the girlfriend but never with the boot open and the subs up full!!!

Also my new amp has 4x40amp fuses in it! then i have another 1000wrms sterio amp (can not remember the fuse size and an xbox?

What would you suggest i do then tom?

@Ribzz... can you get me a red top for £100 then..lol... :)

Paul R

i doubt it Paul sorry, peole tend to sort me out with stuff as they get advertising when i do the shows, getting stuff to sell on is a big no no

one thing i would say is my PS2 used to kick the crap out of my old battery

PS2/ X Box both sup power from your battery big time, spend the exra money dude well worth it in my humble opinion, I got an on board converter as aposed to an external power inverter and hard wired my VGA and pwer cables to PS2, less cable and a nicer job etc

reason for the colours is to show what the battery is for,
goes like this

Yellow = cars
red = boats
green = tanks
etc ect

something like that any way, they all have different properties but all do the same job at the end of the day

With split charge you have a second battery, usually in the boot, with a big-ass relay that disconnects it from the rest of the car when the engine is off.

The amps run off the second batt and its charged as normal when the engine is running.

You don't need an uprated alt unless you want to play very VERY loud.

@tom..Is split charge something i can do myself relatively easy? or is it something that requires alot of work which needes more knowledge then just power and earth etc...

@ribzz...you can not blame me for trying! lol... ;)

Paul R