Recommend me a Laptop

Currently reading:
Recommend me a Laptop

Well she'll be needing it more for internet stuff because she'll be going to Liverpools stage Uni, can't remember the name of it, the one that Paul Mcartney funds, anyway, she'll use it mostly to keep in touch with us and her mates because she'll be miles away from home, but she will watch loads of movies on it too so that's important.
She's doing a stage management course with sound being the major factor so a laptop with features that could possibly benefit her there ?

If you can stretch that budget a little go for a HP Laptop direct, no PC World.

My auntie's friend got a REALLY high spec laptop for £800, I'm talking Visa Premium compatible :eek: (That is high spec) so you could get better than the PC World cr*p for £450 say???

Have a look, see what you can get.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Here is a good one, but it is a little over your buget at £499, fantastic spec though for the money.

Click Here

Some of the spec;

AMD Turion 64 MK-36
100Gb Hard Drive
1Gb DDR2 667Mhz
DVD-RW
Remote Contol
Windows Media Center
Windows Vista Premium Ready
Microsoft Works 8
15.4 Inch screen

Need I say More???

Here is a good one, but it is a little over your buget at £499, fantastic spec though for the money.

Click Here

Some of the spec;

AMD Turion 64 MK-36
100Gb Hard Drive
1Gb DDR2 667Mhz
DVD-RW
Remote Contol
Windows Media Center
Windows Vista Premium Ready
Microsoft Works 8
15.4 Inch screen

Need I say More???
hmmm :yum: That really is very nice for that price. I may get that for myself at the end of the month or something similar, cheers for that, much appreciated (y)

hmmm :yum: That really is very nice for that price. I may get that for myself at the end of the month or something similar, cheers for that, much appreciated (y)

See, who needs PC World!

Its a brilliant one for the price, compared what you would get from the high street.

I have my eye on this one too, but I can't afford it :cry:

The rest of the spec makes up for the CPU though.

That is soooo tempting, but I really should hold on just a few weeks :bang:

Does anyone know what the image quality is like ? Black to white and contrast etc on those ones ?

On the XGA Screens it is really good, two of my friends and my auntie both have XGA Screens.

May I take the time to point out the HP laptop is Widescreen!
I forgot to put it before.

Opinions please :

Processor
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo (T5600 - 1.83GHz (x2), 667MHz FSB, 2MB)

Screen15.4" WXGA CrystalBrite (high-brightness (200-nit) Acer CrystalBrite™ TFT)

Operating SystemWindows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 (Free Upgrade to Windows Vista)

RAM2048MB (2GB)Hard Drive160GB (Serial ATA 5400rpm)

Optical DriveDVD Rewriter (Records DVDs 8x & CDs 24x & Dual Layer)

GraphicsDedicated (NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7600-SE with 128/256 MB of external GDDR2 VRAM, supporting NVIDIA® PureVideo™ technology (WMV HD, High-Definition MPEG-2 Hardware Acceleration), Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0, Shader Model 3.0, OpenEXR High Dynamic Range (HDR)

Wireless LANWireless (802.11b/g) Network Card10/100Mbps Fast EthernetCard Reader5-in-1 card reader (SD//MS/MS-Pro/MMC/:LOL:-Picture card™) Expansion Slots1x PC Card slot (one Type II) USB Ports4x USB 2.0 PortsBluetoothVersion 2.0SpeakersIntergrated Stereo SpeakersModem56.6K ModemVGA Port1 External VGA PortKensington LockKensington lock slot Charge Time2.5 HoursSkype PhoneFree Bluetooth VOIP PhoneExpressCardExpressCard™/34 slotFirewire IEEE 1394 portinfraredFast infrared (FIR) portBattery Life2-3 Hours (This Specific Model 2.5-hours)Weight2-3 Kg (This Model 2.82 Kg)Warranty12 Months Acer Collect & Return​

Any good for £893 ?

Exactly - although I do love the Acers (y) I am tempted by their top spec 20.1" Lappy, as a desktop replacement - will be VAT registered by then, makes it slightly easier :D

Personally, I wouldn't pay that price for a 15.4" screen though.....

Well I am now looking into something that will run games on it too hence the geforce 7600. So that ups the price along with good processor and plenty of RAM and HD space. I don't want to go too mad with the price because it will play second fiddle to the main PC which has plenty of power. As long as it can comfortably run 3d games like Call of duty 2 or even 3. Maybe even HL2 if I install my steam account onto it.

I have no experience with what specs I should aim for to get these games looking and running nice on a laptop. The screen is ok at 15" for me, as long as the rest of the hardware is good enough to run the games. Price wise, can be up to £1,000. I don't wanna spend any more than that, but I'd rather spend less if possible.

Well in the end I opted for this for myself, I wasn't sure about the cache being only 1mb but I found a lot of the AMD based laptops were the same and I have heard quite a lot of good stuff about these.

It's a HP DV9030 and I am just off to collect it now.

AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-56 Processor 1.6GHz
1600 MHz Hyper Transport-1 MB Cache-
2048 MB RAM-
160 GB Hard Drive-
Dual Layer DVD ReWriter MultiDrive-
17" Widescreen HD Brightview display-
Microsoft Windows Media Center- with free Vista premium upgrade
256MB nVidia GeForce Go 7600 Graphics

Back