Recommend me a cheap sat nav unit with mapping for Europe

Currently reading:
Recommend me a cheap sat nav unit with mapping for Europe

StiloSport

At the end of the month I'll be going over to the continent for a while and I'll be doing quite a bit of driving over there so I need a sat nav unit that's either ready to run out of the box or comes with a disc which contains mapping for Europe.

The one problem I'm having is that the unit will only be used when I go. I won't have any use for it after I come back so obviously I don't want to spend alot. There's no point in forking out £***'s on something that'll never get any use again.

Can anyone think of a budget unit or does anyone have one for sale by any chance? Any input gratefully received!

What sort of mapping do you want for Europe? Even the 'best' tomtom mapping is poor in a large number of Euro countries and the Navtech based maps are usually expensive (and I am not sure any better).

If you're just after mapping to get you to and from major places, I would advise any PDA with tomtom 5 with full maps, if you're after complete navigation and full street level, I would advise you to buy a few paper maps instead :)

Only offer on right now is www.medionship.co.uk which is a wired sat nav unit for £129, you would need to acquire tom tom 5 and (depending on how many countries you want to visit) enough memory. You may get away with "GB_plus" mapping which is full GB with basic major roads of europe which should fit on less than a 256mb card out of memory. France, Iberia (spain+port) and UK requires a 256mb card and a 512mb card out of memory.

The majority of my driving will be in Holland but there'll also be some in Belgium and Germany. Conventional maps are alright but you don't know my sense of direction plus it's a bit hard to see a map in the dark.:p

I suppose if a sat nav unit has basic major roads on them, I should be alright. Not really thought about getting a PDA, don't you need to buy seperate GPS receivers, maps etc?

Back