Technical Recall on Stilos?

Currently reading:
Technical Recall on Stilos?

elboy

Hi,

Does anyone know if there has been a recall on Stilos concerning front suspension coils - breaking!
Mine has recently 'let go' and I have never heard of a coil spring breaking in all my years!

Many thanks,
elboy:eek:

They just bolt a bracket on the bottom of the strut to stenghten the part where the coil spring sits. i got me sum coilovers tho n best money iv spent ever.

The spring recall really doesn't address the issue of poorly manufactured parts tbh - it just stops possible damage to tyres which could cause an accident. (n)

You would be better off getting some eibach springs to replace the faulty ones rather than ones from Fiat IMO.

Thread made me :D

Where has the OP been? Not on Forums for cars thats a fact.

Most if not all car manufacturers are starting to suffer spring breakge more and more because the roads are turning to concrete / tarmac crumble with potholes all over the place, and the proliferation of speed - traffic calming humps. Its NOT just Fiat... take a look on other Forums, trust me.... I have!

That might well be true except that Eibach only make lowering springs and NOT oem replacements :rolleyes:

BUT the one that FIAT approves of... At least over here. ;)

Still, it is a mystery that you (Elboy it is) haven't managed to find this on the forum (or the Internet) before posting. I guess a Google search with "stilo recall spring" would track down a number of issues.

Last edited:
BUT the one that FIAT approves of... At least over here. ;)

Still, it is a mystery that you (Elboy it is) haven't managed to find this on the forum (or the Internet) before posting. I guess a Google search with "stilo recall spring" would track down a number of issues.

(y) or Mercedes http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=47669

BMW http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/bmw-technical/40897-anyone-had-any-broken-springs.html

Vauxhall http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-187790.html

It isnt just Fiat...

Hi,

Does anyone know if there has been a recall on Stilos concerning front suspension coils - breaking!
Mine has recently 'let go' and I have never heard of a coil spring breaking in all my years!

One of mine went earlier this year - over a speed bump. As a warranty job, they only replaced the broken one.....

(Thank goodness for that warranty - it's paid out about 1500 quid since January.....)

Is that actually true Morten?

....and which model do they approve as direct replacement for oem springs :confused:

Or do you mean they are approved in the sense of continued Fiat warranty?

Well FIAT would have to approve Eibach for the Abarth Shumi as they're fitted as standard! Though hopefully they wouldn't break in the first place!

Good point (y)

But don't they spec the Shumi with only a 15mm drop over standard - how's that achieved as I thought least drop with Eibach springs is 30mm ?

They are a special spring set, soley for that model. They are marked with joint brands 'Eibach' and 'Prodrive'. And painted a lovely deep red to match the rest of the car! (y)

Is that actually true Morten?

That is true - at least it was true when I bought the car back in 2006 from the main dealer / importer at that time. They had mounted Eibach kits to several Stilos, also the MW. Abarths don't exist in Norway, just 1.6 and some 1.8.

....and which model do they approve as direct replacement for oem springs :confused:

If you (or I in this case) ditch an OEM part for an aftermarked part, such as springs, I alter the car's type approval. It would not be street legal, and insurance is invalid. So I have to show the car to the authorities and get new registration papers. This is serious, and spring numbers have to correspond with TUV and specific car model. Spring numbers etc. will be written into the registration papers.

Why they accepted just Eibach I don't know.

Or do you mean they are approved in the sense of continued Fiat warranty?

The warranty would still be valid. The warranty would also be valid after the mount of the GSR induction, but not if this was a direct reason for the fault.

Hi,

Many thanks,
elboy:eek:

I just had both of my front coils and struts replaced. The coils had fractured :S

52 plate stilo active.

Hey man,

I had a front coil spring snap on my Stilo Abarth at 40k when it was just 4 years old. I got them replaced by my main agent Forward Auto's for 200 quid and it's been fine ever since. I rang up fiat customer services and said that I was shocked that the spring would break consdering the age of the car and the distance it had been. A really nice bloke spoke to me and also my main agent who explained the situation, I recieved a letter of apology from Fiat and a £100 gift voucher, maybe worth getting them done at the main agent as it's not too expensive and then calling up fiat and see how you go.

There customer care team seem to be pretty good these days and were of great help, unlike they used to be when I had my cinq sporting, corroded fuel tank, had been a recall, they had already replaced the tank and the replacement failed within 2 years of it being fitted, got nowhere fast.

But since the change in leadership fiat seems to have changed it's spots and actually look after there customers. I'm going to use my £100 gift voucher towards the £900 quid clutch job that im getting done at Forwards so all in all, £800 really which has cheered me up a little. Still annoyed it's failed at 53k though, but ho hum the joys of motoring.

Back