Rear windscreen washer

Currently reading:
Rear windscreen washer

P

Pete

My rear windscreen washer has ceased to work and it doesnt appear to be anything obvious. I disconnected the pipe at the rear windscreen motor end and nothing is coming out, so it isnt a blocked jet. There is plenty of fluid in the bottle and the washer motor is working. It would seem the pipe is crushed or kinked somewhere, I was wondering if anybody out there has had a similar problem. It isnt where the tail gate meets the main body of the car because i have checked that. PLEASE HELP as it is driving me potty.

Several things for you to try

Is the water pump the same one as for the front washer jets or does it have a separate one for the back?

Make sure the pipe is connected properly at the front.

Have you tried disconnecting the pipe at the front of the car, then activating the washer pump to see if water is actually being pumped?

I cannot imagine why the pipe should suddenly be twisted or kinked. I would think that even if the pipe were twisted/kinked water would still get though - how small do you think a washer jet is?? You could try disconnecting the pipe at both ends, then blowing down the pipe with an airline. If blocked, you could try and feed a "fishwire" (something an electrician would use) down the pipe - I think it might just fit.

If separate pumps for front and back and pipes are connected correctly and not blocked, I would bet my money on the pump.

The only other thing that I can think of is that the pipe has been severed somehow.

Hope this helps,
Regards

Non-return valve

You might try to check the non-return valve for the rear washer. I've changed mine twice… On my Bravo the valve is behind the fuse box on the upper right side of the engine.

// Jennica

Kinked pipe

I had the same problem with my '97 Brava. The actual pump was working, but no fluid was being sprayed. The Fiat "mechanics" couldn't find what was wrong with it.

When I was installing my CD changer, I found the problem. The pipe that feeds the washer from the pump is routed under the passenger side rear seat. Mine was kinked, and hence appeared to be inoperable. After straightning the pipe it has worked OK since.

Good luck!!!