General Rear Wheel Bearing

Currently reading:
General Rear Wheel Bearing

john2443

One of these is going (nasty rumbling and the wheel's getting loose), so I called my local motor factor who say that the replacement is the whole hub which costs the best part of £50, which is quite a lot for a '93 car I got for nothing and will probably get rid of soon, so does anyone know if it's possible to replace just the bearing without having to shell out for a whole hub?

We have a Bearing Services nearby who stock nearly everything, so I can get parts if it's possible to get it to come apart.

Thanks

John

You can replace just the bearings (just takes longer). If you have time have a go at removing the old bearing from the hub, then take them to a bearing shop and see what they come up with. Worst case is you will end up buying a new hub (but you were going to do that any way).

Alex has posted a thread on replacing bearings in a front hub (shouldnt be too different for a rear hub), also most workshops will have a bearing press and can put the new bearings in pretty cheaply.

Also I just remembered that once when I was removing a hub off a stub shaft in the past the bearing came apart as I removed it, so they aren't hard to get apart.

You can replace just the bearings (just takes longer). If you have time have a go at removing the old bearing from the hub, then take them to a bearing shop and see what they come up with. Worst case is you will end up buying a new hub (but you were going to do that any way).

Alex has posted a thread on replacing bearings in a front hub (shouldnt be too different for a rear hub), also most workshops will have a bearing press and can put the new bearings in pretty cheaply.

Also I just remembered that once when I was removing a hub off a stub shaft in the past the bearing came apart as I removed it, so they aren't hard to get apart.

Are you sure about that. IIRC the bearing cannot be removed from the rear hub. They are so cheap to start with I dont see the point. You may save $20 at most.

When I went to have a look, I found the bearing was OK.

Must remember next time I check the brake shoes to tighten the wheel nuts properly :eek:

Re You may save $20 at most. I know, but it's a point of principle on a free car not to spend anything I can avoid!

Back