General Rear washer nozzle not working, motor doesn’t run

Currently reading:
General Rear washer nozzle not working, motor doesn’t run

Hi all

My mk2 punto rear washer nozzle is no longer working and I’ve noticed the motor doesn’t make any sound when you twist the end of the stalk. I’ve read a few previous threads and believe this will indicate either a faulty switch stalk, or corrosion on the terminals at the washer motor.

From what I understand the washer motor is accessed by removing the wheel liner on the driver’s side (LHD car), so I was thinking a good place to start would be to try this while swapping the car from winter wheels onto summer tyred wheels next weekend.

I feel like I should end this post with a question, but not sure what to ask until I’ve completed that initial check. Do please chip in if you have any suggestions though! (y)

Hi all

My mk2 punto rear washer nozzle is no longer working and I’ve noticed the motor doesn’t make any sound when you twist the end of the stalk. I’ve read a few previous threads and believe this will indicate either a faulty switch stalk, or corrosion on the terminals at the washer motor.

From what I understand the washer motor is accessed by removing the wheel liner on the driver’s side (LHD car), so I was thinking a good place to start would be to try this while swapping the car from winter wheels onto summer tyred wheels next weekend.

I feel like I should end this post with a question, but not sure what to ask until I’ve completed that initial check. Do please chip in if you have any suggestions though! (y)

I think you will find there are just two wires on the washer motor. The stalk switch makes the pump work in reverse for the rear window washer.

Aha, thank you. So in the case that the front washers are working (they are), and the motor doesn’t operate when the rear washer is commanded, then I really need to look at the stalk and wiring to/from it?

Do you know where I might find a diagram to show which cables and connectors are involved? I suppose it’s more likely to be a broken cable than a faulty switch.

Aha, thank you. So in the case that the front washers are working (they are), and the motor doesn’t operate when the rear washer is commanded, then I really need to look at the stalk and wiring to/from it?

Do you know where I might find a diagram to show which cables and connectors are involved? I suppose it’s more likely to be a broken cable than a faulty switch.

The two motor wires are going directly to the connector for the switch, so the fault must be inside the switch if the front ones are working.

Attachments

• P3280679.JPG
    P3280679.JPG
    214 KB · Views: 30
Hi Judderbar

Thank you for posting that and sorry for my slow reply - I got distracted onto other things.

Awesome that you’ve posted the wiring diagram but my brain is spinning a bit with trying to see how this works. I see the motor has two connections, one of which is ground. The other must therefore be switched to either plus or minus 12V if the motor is to spin in both directions for front or rear wash.

The bit that gets me is the “other” cable from the motor (the one which is not ground) appears to be wired to R17 in the fusebox, which as drawn can only switch +12V? Maybe I need to find R17 on my car and have a look at it.

EDIT: Ignore me, I was looking at the headlight washer (46)! Now I see where 45 is and like you say it’s wired to the switch.

Last edited:
Back