Technical Rear trailing arm bushings worn - help!!

Currently reading:
Technical Rear trailing arm bushings worn - help!!

My 1.6 elx developed a nasty 'knock' noise under acceleration and braking and we traced it to the right rear corner. Closer investigation has revealed the trailing arm can move slightly side-to-side and there is grease dripping from the bushing. Has anyone replaced these and have you any advice before I start tearing into it?

I've found the refurbish kit on shop4parts.co.uk for £18 so it is probably straightforward, but if you have spent a frustrating weekend and had to tow it to a main dealer because its too difficult, or you need special tools please let me know.

Thanks,

David.

Last edited:
Bushing kits ordered for both sides so I'll let you know if they are a pig to fit.

The exhaust backbox fell off it 100 miles from home yesterday - while I was welding it back on I noticed the RHS handbrake cable was rubbing on the inside edge of the wheel and was worn through - it looked like someone hadn't clipped it back correctly at some stage. I refitted it and used some extra cable ties and now it doesn't rub.

I'd say by the middle of next year I should have all the gremlins sorted on this Multipla - lets hope it doesn't snap its timing belt eh!

Bushing kits ordered for both sides so I'll let you know if they are a pig to fit.

The exhaust backbox fell off it 100 miles from home yesterday - while I was welding it back on I noticed the RHS handbrake cable was rubbing on the inside edge of the wheel and was worn through - it looked like someone hadn't clipped it back correctly at some stage. I refitted it and used some extra cable ties and now it doesn't rub.

I'd say by the middle of next year I should have all the gremlins sorted on this Multipla - lets hope it doesn't snap its timing belt eh!

No doubt you have got rid of by now but were they a pig to fit?

No doubt you have got rid of by now but were they a pig to fit?

Three years later? Good grief Charlie Brown...

They were the most appalling pig to fit, it took me almost a full day and the use of a mates commercial garage and tools. I sold that petrol Multi and bought a '03 diesel one last year and guess what? Yep, it needs the bushings done...

I'm probably going to pay a mechanic to fit them this time.

David.

Im gonna buy the whole arm when my time comes i beleive its an easier job in the long run.

Im gonna buy the whole arm when my time comes i beleive its an easier job in the long run.

Yeah - I hadn't spotted the replacement arms on shop4parts for £68 so I'd recommend these. Bashing the old bearings out is easiest the hardest part but if you have decent tools and a lump hammer it is just a case of persevering.

D.

hello

let me know if they parts are everything u need to replace the rear arms as i need to do mine and they a good bit cheaper than anywhere else

Back