Technical Rear suspension bushes - warranty???

Currently reading:
Technical Rear suspension bushes - warranty???

I have just posted this on the forum.
I have had a Fiat Stilo Multiwagon since May 2003 and although it has great styling, great equipment, is very practical and was superb value for money. The ride and suspension problems I have encountered have been disastrous.
The first problem was with the rear suspension, when I went over a bump or sunken manhole in the road the suspension made a loud metallic bang, this turned out to be the suspension bushes, which according to the main dealer were not wide enough for their housing and were moving from side to side and had worm badly.
When the dealer under warranty replaced these bushes, they told me this would have cost £800 because they had to take off the whole suspension bed to replace the bushes. According to the dealer these have now been replaced with modified bushes which are wider and harder material. I have since heard that fiat issued a warning to its dealer about this problem and someone told me Fiat had a recall on the same problem. Good job my car was still under warranty.
Since having this problem, someone else told me that Fiat had a similar problem on the front suspension, so when I had the car in for another recent problem, which I thought was a very noisy wheel bearing and this turned out to be a second broken coil spring in less than four years. I asked the dealer to check the front suspension bushes as the car was riding a bit rough. This turned out to be the offside front bush had worn and to my dismay when I received the bill for this work they had replaced the front suspension wishbone at a cost of £100.17. When I questioned this the dealer told me that this was because the bush cannot be bought or replaced separate.
It seems to me that Fiat have done a great job on the Stilo compared to past Fiats but they have built in designs which make it easier and cheaper for them to build but add a phenomenal cost to replace or repair, which is more likely to happen when the car is out of warranty.
I intend writing to Fiat UK about this matter.

On oil filled bushes:
My Nissan S13 240SX came equiped with several of these and Nissan doesn't suply bushes alone so you must get the whole part, BUT there are some aftermarket companies that carry them separately, one of them NISMO witch by the way is Nissan Motor Sport division and some others who offer harder polyurethane bushes.

My question is: Are enought Stilos around to make feasible for a supplier to develop these bushes for the Stilo?

Bushings can almost allways be pressed out.

Maybe a mass petition for these bushes could make a company produce them!

Athos said:
My question is: Are enought Stilos around to make feasible for a supplier to develop these bushes for the Stilo?
I think this has already happened :chin:

Only problem, I can't remember which company but somebody should know :bang:

Replacement bushes are availeable from Fiat. I was quoted 70 euro for a pair of rear ones.

Insane said:
Replacement bushes are availeable from Fiat. I was quoted 70 euro for a pair of rear ones.
I think they've been available from Fiat for some time for the more recent models.

What about bushes for early models (not sure of the age of yours) ?

Argonought said:
I think they've been available from Fiat for some time for the more recent models.

Bushes for the rear axle beam have been available for some time as Argonaught has said but for us poor sods with the early models its an expensive job as the compleat axle has to be changed along with new bushes :cry:

Argonought said:

Mine is 02 and bushes are out for early models. The axle doesnt need to be changed anymore.

Insane said:
Mine is 02 and bushes are out for early models. The axle doesnt need to be changed anymore.

This is news to me how long have the bushes for early models been out I was under the impression that with the early models the bushes are fixed and not removable but if you are right then that will be very good news for us owners of the older models saves a whopping grate bill for rear axle beam replacment (y)

That's brilliant news (y)

Would seem to confirm that those keeping hold of their Stilos or coming onto the scene late - are getting the best deal (not that I’ve had any real trouble with mine) :cool:

I found out a month ago, good news for me too. Went to Fiat dealer to confirm it.

Well done mate for reporting it we could do with more stilo owners like you WELL DONE (y)

Rear Suspension Questions

Hi folks,

in the last few months my rear suspension has generally been groaning, squeeking and knocking. It sounds like my previous 02 Stilo did for most of its life!

Thing is my car is now in its third year warranty and my question is; are general rear suspension problems and components covered in the third year? The suspension is original factory fit unmodified.

Any advice before I take the plunge and call my dealer would be appreciated...Cheers.

Re: Rear Suspension Questions

Pretty much all squeaks and so on can be dealt with by lubrication. I use Waxyoil which I apply to any bush with a rubber content (you don’t need to go crazy with it). You need to do it once year and that's about it really.

If you're worried about your rear bearing alignment then it's best to get a proper 4 wheel alignment check carried out while still in warranty. It'll give you peace of mind if it does check out OK :)

Re: Rear Suspension Questions

jasper said:
Hi folks,

in the last few months my rear suspension has generally been groaning, squeeking and knocking. It sounds like my previous 02 Stilo did for most of its life!

Thing is my car is now in its third year warranty and my question is; are general rear suspension problems and components covered in the third year? The suspension is original factory fit unmodified.

Any advice before I take the plunge and call my dealer would be appreciated...Cheers.

There's a springs recall on at the moment for Stilo's. Check tech sction as you may find youre in line for a free overhaul?

Back