Technical Rear Spring Replacment

Currently reading:
Technical Rear Spring Replacment

Have done this on quite a few cars but not yet on a "B"

Can anyone confirm:

1) Jack up and place stands to allow rear arms to be free
2) Remove Anit-Roll bar (links rear arms to each other)
3) Remove bottom shock bolt allowing arm to freely drop
4) No other restrictions (eg. brake pipe)
5) Remove sping
6) Put new spring in
7) Reverse procedure

Don't even need to undo the arb, I'm fairly certain I just undid the shock bolt. My driver's side was on so tight I found it easier to undo the bolt that connects the spring to the body as it's protected from the elements.

It's hard to see where the bump stops are so I placed the spring in the holder and then duck taped it into place to keep it lined up when compressing with a jack to bolt up.

Don't even need to undo the arb, I'm fairly certain I just undid the shock bolt. My driver's side was on so tight I found it easier to undo the bolt that connects the spring to the body as it's protected from the elements.

It's hard to see where the bump stops are so I placed the spring in the holder and then duck taped it into place to keep it lined up when compressing with a jack to bolt up.

I assume it was the bottom of the spring you taped onto the lower saddle or did you insert the spring into the body recess and tape it there whilst you raised the lower saddle/arm up to meet?

If you don't release the anti-roll bar then you must have to drop both sides at once, fit/place both springs and then as your raise/compress one side the other will be pushed up by the "arb".

Bottom shock bolts are as you say hard nuts to crack. Last year I replaced the shocks for the MOT as one was misting.

The former - I lined it up in the saddle and taped it into place to stop it moving.

Maybe I did undo the ARB bolt then, I honestly cant remember! Its on my pistonheads post though.

If I did remove it and it was a total B to do though, I'd remember it....so safe to assume it was done and one OK (y)

Well have just done this job on my drive and can confirm that my original post is correct:

1) Jack up and place stands to allow rear arms to be free
2) Remove Anit-Roll bar (links rear arms to each other)
3) Remove bottom shock bolt allowing arm to freely drop
4) No other restrictions (eg. brake pipe)
5) Remove sping
6) Put new spring in
7) Reverse procedure

Would add you can do one side at a time.

The anti-roll bar is fairly easy to release from both sides. You could probably skip this if there are two of you and one with a longer lever to force the suspension are down to extra the spring but with the anti-roll bar released the suspension arm drops freely to the ground so become a one man job.

Took the opportunity to remove the anti-roll bar (very fiddly to do but can just be done on the drive with jacks and axle stands) give it a degrease and wire brushing off of loose rust/paint and then a quick repaint with Hammerite.

My MOT tester is very fair and honest and hast passed the rusty springs for the last few MOTs but pointed them out again this year saying next year will be a formal advisory but he knows many testers would have failed them one even two years ago. Also said some MOT tests get picky about mild surface rust on anti-roll bars these days (for some strange reason as no one has ever seen a failed arb due to corrosion).

Just wondering if the bolts came out ok holding the anti roll bar ? I have a new one to fit to my mk 1 punto think it’s the same as the b , I’ve been holding off doing it as the bolts on mine look quite rusty.

The bolts did come out reasonable OK.

What I noted is:

1) The nut heads are quite rusted
2) My surface drive sockets as opposed to more traditional "apex/point" sockets easily fitted OK but after quite fairly large force to undo the bolts they were then stuck in the sockets requiring some tapping out
3) I did not have to resort to an impact driver or otherwise strike/shake/coerce them
3) Our "B" is 2005 era. Earlier models may be more challenging

I cleaned all threads and greased with black waterproof moly grease.

Last edited:
Think i got my wife to put her foot on it and that lowered it enough to get spring out.
Cleaned, painted everything before reassembly.

Attachments

• 20190130_202353.jpg
    20190130_202353.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 25
Back