Technical Rear Speakers

Currently reading:
Technical Rear Speakers

RichieC

woooooh...I'm a ghost...
Hello all.

I now have my 6x9s, but on looking at the parcel shelf on my punto MK2, there is what seems to be a strengthening bar running all the way under it....anyone know what this is and what it's made of / is it ok to cut it? and has anyone here put some speakers in the parcel shelf of a mk2 punto?

Cheers,

Rich

the descent into insanity continues unabated

Go to your local DIY centre and buy some 15mm or 18mm MDF. Put your parcel shelf on top, draw round it and cut it out. Cut out the speaker holes and cover it.
You don't want to mount speakers in the standard shelf, even if you left the strengthening bar in the weight would bend it very quickly.
Plus it rattles when you turn the music up.
Why don't you mount them in the rear door cards and put a sub in the boot.

The bar underneath is made of thin metal. I had to take it off completely which made a bit of a mess of the covering, but it hasn't started to bend and the speakers have been in for a few weeks now and there have been no rattles.

Exactly, its been a few weeks.
Even an MDF shelf bends eventually and it will rattle if you had a decent sub in the boot.
Plan ahead and do it properly first time. The advantage is that if you ever sell it you can put the original uncut shelf back in.

I agree with you Evil, best off to put a dummy shelf in and keep the original in the garage. You can cover the MDF with some carpet. It stops rattling noises and gives the speakers a better sound.

2000 ELX , (1998 60S got mashed)

Back