General Rear Shock Question

Currently reading:
General Rear Shock Question

the gardener

Took off shock absorbers today and both can easily and i mean very easily be pushed up and down with very little resistance?
Is this normal or are they knackered?
If so what sort of price and best place to buy.
Thanks
Simon

Last edited:
I'm going to be pedantic, but a shock absorber is the correct name for the spring, as it is that that absorbs the bumps on the road, and you are referring to the damper as this damps out the oscillations of the spring :) Don't worry though I'm sure about 95% of the population don't name them correctly and I'm just being facetious :)

But unless a damper is gas pressurised, it will not return to the original position when compressed, only gas pressurised dampers do this.

And all dampers have oil if they are gas pressurised or not.

When the damper unit is removed unless you fit it on a damper dyno, there is no real way to tell how healthy it is unless there are obvious leaks from it.

When I had my Sachs dampers rebuilt for my Clio at BG Motorsport they actually build them and then match them on a damper dyno.

OEM dampers are only ever to within a tolerance of 10%, though recently Ford paid a lot extra to ensure there's were to within 5%, this is still no where near as accurate as the damper that Peugeot used to build inhouse around the time of the 306/406. It all went down hill when they started buying them in from outside suppliers!

OEM dampers are not much, you can buy Fiat, Monroe, Bilstein IIRC all do an OEM damper unit. The Monroe and Bilstein are gas pressured.

HTH

Last edited:
Thanks for replies.

I personally think the dampers are shot i just wondered what you lot thought.
Quite literally i could push the dampers together with a finger at each end easily? Surely there should be a significant resistance?

Thanks for replies.

I personally think the dampers are shot i just wondered what you lot thought.
Quite literally i could push the dampers together with a finger at each end easily? Surely there should be a significant resistance?

Yes, there should be more resistance than a couple of fingers can provide.

Cheers

SPD

I know, it's not enough controlling planes, and too much working in a cold first thing in morning workshop on race cars among proper professionals, I think there pedantry is rubbing of on me :devil:

But look it worked, I see dampers in above thread lol

I thought I was the resident pedant, I must be slacking.

Cheers

SPD

Back