Technical Rear Shock absorbers

Currently reading:
Technical Rear Shock absorbers

MLW

2006 Panda with rusty rear shock absorbers. Any issues with fitting them. Looks like a top and bottom bolt, that's it.
SACHS or Monroe, which brand is best?
Any views?

Fiat use at least 2 different manufactures

Cofap and Monroe

Makes no difference

Rubber bushes normally go first

78E7C9E9-7998-4D6A-A024-B1EE826986A4.png

Last edited:
I take it’s on 155 tyres

The tall sidewalks will make it appear a bit wobbly.

There not much to be gained from the rear shocks unless those fitted are worn out

In my opinion the best tyre from the passenger seat anyhow especially over bad roads and speed humps

I remember Monroe as a top make 30 years ago, but opinion now seems to be they are so so. Mind you, many brands are not what they use to be.

Usually good for 50000 miles if fitted properly and the rear is normally lightly loaded

We have seen some fitted by a garage rip the rubber bush’s out in about a year

Amazingly Halfords had SACHS for £32.30 each. Numbers match up with the SACHS website. Does the car need to be down on the springs for final tightening?

The top mounting bolt is very easy to cross-thread and the self cutting tip makes thead damage a considerable problem. Fit the top bolts first. Tighten fully then slacken 1/2 turn so the shock sleeve is loose. Fit the bottom bolts. Jack up the swing arm until the car body just starts to lift off the axle stands. Fully tighten both bolts. Repeat for the other side.

Back