Technical Rear grinding brakes

Currently reading:
Technical Rear grinding brakes

jonjg

Any ideas with my very noisy rear brakes on the lowered cinq? sounds like noisy shoes rubbing on drums but only happens when steering left, almost like the drum is moving. Both drum bolts are tight enough on both sides.

i have checked both rear drums, both have tons of friction material, slave cylinders are ok, handbrake 'L' are both free on both, shoe '+' holders are new and ok.

I thought maybe bearings as the nearside rear has about 5cm thread showing whereas the offside has no thread showing. however bearing nut doesnt budge and is plenty tight enough and the bearings are making no noise.

The brakes are a bit 50p ish when braking, not consistant. the front pads need changing soon but im a bit stumped with the rears as there doesnt seem anything wrong with them?

Any help would be great.

@jonjg
Allmost certainly rear bearings worn or incorrectly set-up. Sounds like the off-side one has the hub shaft not fully on and you could lose the wheel. There should be at least 1 or two threads showing through any locking nut to make sure it stays on. I'd buy a pair of new hub/bearing assemblies and fit them as a matter of urgency. They are not expensive and losing a wheel could kill someone.

see https://www.fiatforum.com/cinquecento-seicento/234801-cinque-rear-wheel-bearing-change.html

Robert G8RPI.

UPDATE,
I just double checked the Cinq rear hub arrangement and your off-side hub is in a unsafe condition if there are no threads showing through the central nut. You need to get this sorted ASAP.

Last edited:
Thanks robert. will do. i will be using the van for work till the bearings arrive. thanks.

Back