Technical Rear Drum Brakes

Currently reading:
Technical Rear Drum Brakes

Meep

Hi all, apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere but I couldn’t see it…

‘09 GP - The pins holding the OSR brake shoe in place snapped and dropped out while driving recently (luckily I was close to home). I had planned to just replace the pins/clips but of course it has snowballed into a bigger job. On stripping the brakes down, the shoes were actually pretty heavily worn so decided replace them at the same time but it seems the wheel cylinders are shot too with a slight leak under the seals on both sides of the car too.

I have the new shoes/fixing kit ready and I’ve cleaned off the rust and refinished the drums ready to go too but I can’t for the life of me get the cylinders off the backplate to replace them.

Is there an easy way to remove the whole hub and backplate assembly so I can get easier access to the back side and the cylinder fixings? Might end up replacing the whole backplate instead if I’m still struggling…

Thanks in advance :)

Hi all, apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere but I couldn’t see it…

‘09 GP - The pins holding the OSR brake shoe in place snapped and dropped out while driving recently (luckily I was close to home). I had planned to just replace the pins/clips but of course it has snowballed into a bigger job. On stripping the brakes down, the shoes were actually pretty heavily worn so decided replace them at the same time but it seems the wheel cylinders are shot too with a slight leak under the seals on both sides of the car too.

I have the new shoes/fixing kit ready and I’ve cleaned off the rust and refinished the drums ready to go too but I can’t for the life of me get the cylinders off the backplate to replace them.

Is there an easy way to remove the whole hub and backplate assembly so I can get easier access to the back side and the cylinder fixings? Might end up replacing the whole backplate instead if I’m still struggling…

Thanks in advance :)
If you have been able to loosen the pipe fitting then you could using an angle grinder cut the cylinders off the back plate , a pain but easier than removing the back plate.
Or The bolts retaining the cylinders need not be super tight, a single hex socket may get them undone without rounding heads, heat will help.
Alternative option , remove old pistons leaving cylinders in place , clean cylinder bores with a nylon pan scourer ,check cylinder bores - if acceptable fit new pistons from replacement parts.
Good luck
Jack

Thanks Jack, actually hadn’t even thought about just swapping out the pistons. Might give that a go before I break out the angle grinder and blowtorch… :)

You shouldn't need to do that. If I recall right there's two hydraulic fittings in each cylinder for the brake pipes and bleeding plus (to both sides) a pair of bolts that holds the cylinder to the backplate. You need to remove all of these and the cylinders come off easily. Have a watch here: Link

Forgot to post an update!

Managed to swap out the cylinders and fit new - several rounds of heat/penetrating lubricant/well-placed hammer taps and a socket wrench did the trick in the end.

Brake pipes may as well have been welded to the rear of the cylinders and were impossible to loosen, so just replaced with new there too as the connections at the other end were surprisingly loose in comparison.

Thanks again for the pointers folks :)

Back