Technical Rear disc conversion

Currently reading:
Technical Rear disc conversion

arc

this is where i stand
I am unlikely to do this as I don't have any money, although i am interested in what needs to be done, how and where to get bits from. I would like to see this thread become a nice collection of knowledge on what needs to be done.. although i know nothing on the subject really so can't help much.

Anyone start the ball rolling, what calipers.. cinq std front ones? Same deal with the discs.

Does it need something to distriubte braking power properly?

Ive no idea!

Hi
You`d have to get some rear calipers from another car maybe punto gt or uno turbo as these are already made with a handbrake take off,the punto gt uses the same discs on the rear as the cinq does on the front,
Rallycinq has rear discs and he`s using 13" wheels,
Cheers
Adrian

Jamie
I think the spacers he had made are for his front brake conversion to position the uno turbo disc so it would run in the caliper correctly,
Cheers
Adrian

rallycinq said:
Rear Brakes

Cinq front discs, Punto GT rear calipers, Small modification to handbrake cable, mounting brackets require fabricated.

Cheers

D

Hi Rallycinq
Any pictures of the mounting brackets? or the complete conversion?
Cheers
Adrian
P.s any changes to brake bias valve or servo/master cylinder?

ummm, is it worth the bother for a rear brake conversion? do you need to have super stopping power? :confused:

AIJ29 said:
Hi Rallycinq
Any pictures of the mounting brackets? or the complete conversion?
Cheers
Adrian
P.s any changes to brake bias valve or servo/master cylinder?

No piccies at the mo, car away being worked on.

I have a balance bar assembly, but it worked OK ish with the standard set up.

Cheers

D

Hmm i am very interested in this too, i was discussing it with arc the other day. I wanna put Punto GT disks etc on the front so i'll have spare Sei calipers etc. I am guessing a full set of Sei front calipers and disks are fine to use. The hang-ups i had were the handbrake and if a balancing unit was needed.

Ok, here's the deal for rear disk conversion on a cento.

Calipers from Uno turbo/Punto Gt (they are the same)
Plate from Uno turbo, fits straight
Disk 228mm from Uno turbo
Hub from Uno turbo

Straight fit, no modifications needed, cento handbrake cable mounts with no problem.

You can also use the 240mm disk (cento's front, Punto GT rear, Alfa 155 rear etc), with same calipers and without changing hub, if you fabricate a custom plate based on the Uno's plate, only the two holes the caliper mounts on have to be 6mm further out.

I have them almost a year now, no probs with the handbrake, no better stopping power, but you can break inside a turn without fearing for the weels to lock unexpectedly. Oh, and far better looks of course...

Photo

Last edited:
Reactions: HP
Hi,
You may need to fit a brake bias valve if your going to fit Uno turbo calipers to the rear of the cinq as it may be a bit light in the back end for that much brake.... :)

Thanks
Paul T

fixitagaintomorrow said:
Do you need to reduce the fluid pressure to the rear disc brake calipers if you do this?

No, nothing than changing the last 15cm of the metallic hose (that connected to the drum), with a flexible brake hose. As i said, nothing changed to the braking balance of the car, just the rear wheel lock doesn't come so sudden as with the drums and now i can also break inside the turn without the fear of oversteering.

Last edited:
paul_treg said:
Hi,
You may need to fit a brake bias valve if your going to fit Uno turbo calipers to the rear of the cinq as it may be a bit light in the back end for that much brake.... :)

Thanks
Paul T

It's not right to believe that drums in general are weaker than discs. Drums have a bigger contact surface and can be as powerfull as disks, depending on their size.

The disandvantage of drums is the small endurance to heat and the not so progressive braking power they apply, they lock easily after a certain power to the pedal.

Usually, heat problems are the reason to upgrade to discs, not braking power.

240mm at the rear on the other hand, might be too much and should certainly need a set of 257mm on the front to balance.

Last edited:
Back