Technical rear brakes

Currently reading:
Technical rear brakes

Assuming they are disc brakes you do it in the same way as any other read disc brakes, just don’t put the hand brake on and block the wheels to stop the car rolling

500x electronic handbrake
You may need a diagnostic computer I know you do on other cars with these systems

Not that I’m aware of on any fiat. I know I has an electronic hand brake but this usually means a solinoid/motor to pull on the hand brake cables rather than the usual lever.

If a computer was needed and I’m pretty sure it’s not on a Fiat, then it’s almost certainly something that would be doable in. MES

Not that I’m aware of on any fiat. I know I has an electronic hand brake but this usually means a solinoid/motor to pull on the hand brake cables rather than the usual lever.

If a computer was needed and I’m pretty sure it’s not on a Fiat, then it’s almost certainly something that would be doable in. MES

The 500x definitely has a electronic handbrake

The 500x definitely has a electronic handbrake

I think you’re missing my point, I am not disputing it has an electronic hand brake, it says that clearly in the OP, it however should not make any difference to how you change the pads and you shouldn’t need a computer to do anything as you’ve suggested.

The only difference is the electronic motor to pull the hand brake cable and not a manual lever as I’ve already said

I think you’re missing my point, I am not disputing it has an electronic hand brake, it says that clearly in the OP, it however should not make any difference to how you change the pads and you shouldn’t need a computer to do anything as you’ve suggested.

The only difference is the electronic motor to pull the hand brake cable and not a manual lever as I’ve already said
You do on a lot of VW's and vaxualls you can't just rewind the caliper
I don't think the 500x does this but other makes do require a computer to out it into service mode first

You do on a lot of VW's and vaxualls you can't just rewind the caliper
I don't think the 500x does this but other makes do require a computer to out it into service mode first

Don't have any experience of the Fiat setup but you're quite right about VAG. My VCDS lets it be put into service mode and there are dire warnings about not attempting it unless you do with tales of amputated finger tips to frighten the bold adventurers!

We are not talking about any other car so I’m not sure why This is relevant and I don’t understand why are you still trying to make more of this than their is?

If the op is concerned he could phone his fiat dealer and ask if it needs hooking up to a computer to change the pads.

We are not talking about any other car so I’m not sure why This is relevant and I don’t understand why are you still trying to make more of this than their is?

If the op is concerned he could phone his fiat dealer and ask if it needs hooking up to a computer to change the pads.
Hi Andy. Thanks for bringing some common sense to this! However I do find myself interested to find out whether Fiat are using a system where there are electric actuators in the calipers themselves - as is how I think the VAG ones work - or is it basically an electric motor which tightens up the handbrake cables? Vicarious interest only on my part as I would avoid buying a vehicle with an electrically operated handbrake like I would avoid the plague!

Renault have have these systems for years. It's a pair of motors on the the rear swing subframe that pull the handbrakes on.

Do not do anything to the rear brakes with the battery connected

On the 05 Espace, I disconnected the battery, wound back the hand brake auto adjuster in the normal way and changed the pads. I expected to need a garage to reset the system so "see" the new brake pads but when battery was connected, it all worked fine. Maybe I had not let the pads wear below minimum thickness who knows.

The 500X has motors on each rear wheel calpier that apply and release the brake pads.

You can park the car with the EPB off but what I don't know is how far the motors retract the pads. They may just release the pads by a few millimetres which may not be enough to fit new thicker pads.

Fiat MultiECUScan also has the ability to release the parking brake. It may be that MES will fully retract the pistons.

Beyond the above I can't comment further as I've not had to tackle rear pad replacement.

The 500X has motors on each rear wheel calpier that apply and release the brake pads.

You can park the car with the EPB off but what I don't know is how far the motors retract the pads. They may just release the pads by a few millimetres which may not be enough to fit new thicker pads.

Fiat MultiECUScan also has the ability to release the parking brake. It may be that MES will fully retract the pistons.

Beyond the above I can't comment further as I've not had to tackle rear pad replacement.

Thanks .

Are these units just operating the 'service brake'?

Or is it more complex.. extra pads.etc..??

Well looking at MES on the ABS system section I see:

EPB Maintenance Mode: this procedure should be performed before replacement of brake pads. It will put the system into "maintenance mode".

Exit EPB Maintenance Mode: This procedure should be performed before replacement of brake pads. It will put the system into "maintenance mode".

Beyond this I have no idea.....

When I get a chance I'll check my 500X eLearn but based on memory there is not really much extra info available.

My mechanic changed my rear breaks on my 2016 fiat 500x. He changed the break caliper and break pads. After putting them in he tried to use the computer to engage the ebrake and bleed them but the computer will not make them over. The E brake switch will not work either. He didn’t know what was wrong or what to try next. Hoping to get some insight on here to help.

Does anyone know how to change rear brake pads with electronic handbrake on a fiat 500 x diesel year 2017
I bought a 2017 Trekker fwd with 23000 miles eight months ago.
I did a brake inspection the first of this week.
Front and back looks pretty simple for anyone with mechanical skills.
The rears are a little more involved but you don't have to touch the E-brake for just the pads.
These new cars have so much electrical crap on them that it is a good idea to disconnect the battery before working on anything.
There are some videos on the process.
I am still looking for a manual.

I bought a 2017 Trekker fwd with 23000 miles eight months ago.
I did a brake inspection the first of this week.
Front and back looks pretty simple for anyone with mechanical skills.
The rears are a little more involved but you don't have to touch the E-brake for just the pads.
These new cars have so much electrical crap on them that it is a good idea to disconnect the battery before working on anything.
There are some videos on the process.
I am still looking for a manual.
I have just changed the rear pads and disks on mine (52k miles) and reckon you should wind the handbrake off either with software (I used multiecuscan) or mechanically as arekp shows in his explanation. I gather that just pushing the pistons back can damage the handbrake mechanism in the caliper. I don't think just changing the pads makes any difference to the need for winding the handbrake off.
As a matter of interest(perhaps) the pads weren't even half worn but the inner surfaces of the disks were badly corroded.

This VW manual shows how they work. The FIAT 500X calipers look very like them.

Back