Technical Rear brake enquiry

Currently reading:
Technical Rear brake enquiry

I've got my 1.8 Bravo brake calipers all ready to go on the front of my Cinq and was just wondering...is there anyway of putting my Cinq Calipers on the rear? I'm guessing this is gonna be way too much effort or just not possible. Just thought I would ask as they will just lie around collecting dust anyway. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Can be done, but requires custom made mounting plates and a modification to the handbrake, so you transform it to a hydraulic one, as the cento front calipers don't have arms for the handbrake cable.

The french guy with the cinq 16V turbo is like that. Check his posts.

Asteris said:
Can be done, but requires custom made mounting plates and a modification to the handbrake, so you transform it to a hydraulic one, as the cento front calipers don't have arms for the handbrake cable.

The french guy with the cinq 16V turbo is like that. Check his posts.

Cheers mate, I'll look into it but if it's too much money/effort I'll pass on it.

On a second thought, cento calipers are 46mm in diameter (punto GT rear is 34mm) and the pad is double the size than the one of the punto GT rear caliper. This makes it a bad choice for the rear as it will be way too powerfull and lock the wheel easily, unless you use a brake balancer to reduce the rear brake power.

SkinzCinqSproting said:
IFIRC Hydraulic Handbrakes are found on some very High end German Cars and they're obviously road legal. Just a thought?

The law states that a hand brake has got to be totally independent from the service brake and has got to be of a different system.

The rear disc conversion I did over 5 years ago was using X1/9 rear calipers. But I wouldn't do it again. I consider it as a waste of time. One of the downfalls, which a lot of people do not consider is the fact that a disc conversion in most cases on the Centos increases the unsprung weight by about 3kg.

So does bigger wheels and tyres and not only to centos, but at every other car too. But it's a compromise and a necessity together, if you need better grip and braking power.

Although the standand rear Uno calipers don't overcome the power of the standard drum, they still are more progressional and don't overheat that easily. And isn't the X1/9 a little bit old for their calipers to work right? Mayby a newer caliper could give you a better result.

TBH i think rear discs are gonna be overkill on a Cinq, I don't have any ICE in the car and although I'm getting a 1242 I'm gonna have Bravo brakes up front so I'm probably gonna leave the drums. I need to save a bit of money for my flat. Do tarox still make those upgraded ones for a cinq?

257mm front disks (either bravo solids or GT vented ones), gets you about 60% more braking power to the front. That means that if the initial brake balance was 65% front - 35% rear, now it is 75 - 25. Is this ok with you?

Duncan, when I sorted my fronts with (cinq size) Tarox SJ Discs and fast road pads it stopped great was well pleased, couple that with decent rear brakes then to stop an 1108 it was more than adequate.

I am upgrading to the Punto/Bravo/a etc etc brakes and knowing the performance of the uprated cinq stuff then the Punto kind should make it flip end over end!

I would say rear discs are only really for track days or bling if you have the readies.

Liam

Back