Technical Rear brake drum seized on

Currently reading:
Technical Rear brake drum seized on

It's not unknown for the ratchet wheel latch to fall off (thread here).

Mine was just sitting at the bottom of the drum so I was able to stick it back on.

With the latch correctly attached the ratchet wheel should only be able to turn in one direction to tighten the brakes.

Attachments

• brakes-01.jpg
    brakes-01.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Fiat brake part.JPG
    Fiat brake part.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
It's not unknown for the ratchet wheel latch to fall off (thread here).

Mine was just sitting at the bottom of the drum so I was able to stick it back on.

With the latch correctly attached the ratchet wheel should only be able to turn in one direction to tighten the brakes.
Thanks for that, very instructive. This summer's project is going to be a complete rebuild of rear brakes, including cylinders and metal pipes if needed, so it'll be very useful to know how these adjusters should be assembled. I'm also going to give the rear axle a good clean down and try to prolong it's life a bit with some rust converter (I think I've decided on Fertan) and a good coat of paint. She's just recently passed her MOT - with no advisories, Hurrah! - but I've been thinking for a wee while that the pedal travel is somewhat longer than it used to be so the adjusters may well be seized.
Thanks again, best wishes
Jock

If anyone is interested the thin metal strip retained to the link rod by 2 rivits is a bimetal strip . When the brakes are hot the bimetal strip bends away from the link rod stopping the self adjusted adjusting.
The idea behind the above is the drum expands when hot and contracts when cold, if the adjuster operates when drum expanded due to heat then after cooling the shoes may bind.

Do not bend the bimetal strip or the adjusters may not work.

Cheers all

Jack

If anyone is interested the thin metal strip retained to the link rod by 2 rivits is a bimetal strip . When the brakes are hot the bimetal strip bends away from the link rod stopping the self adjusted adjusting.
The idea behind the above is the drum expands when hot and contracts when cold, if the adjuster operates when drum expanded due to heat then after cooling the shoes may bind.

Do not bend the bimetal strip or the adjusters may not work.

Cheers all

Jack

just spring steel that rides over ratchet on my brakes

the geometry makes it move back and forwards

You can make it work by hand and hear it working on the car without any heat.

The shape is important though

Although I wouldn't discount it totally as the photo above does look different to mine. Some brakes are designed to stop adjusting when the brakes are hot by bending the latch out of the way. Probably depend on what brand is being fitted or has been fitted in the past

Last edited:
just spring steel that rides over ratchet on my brakes

the geometry makes it move back and forwards

You can make it work by hand and hear it working on the car without any heat.

The shape is important though

Although I wouldn't discount it totally as the photo above does look different to mine. Some brakes are designed to stop adjusting when the brakes are hot by bending the latch out of the way. Probably depend on what brand is being fitted or has been fitted in the past
Hi Koalar,
I didn't refer
To the bit in the photo but rather the bimetal strip riveted to the strut that when hot bends away from the strut stopping the adjustment.

This only applies to the Bosch design in question.
Cheers
Jack

Last edited:
Hi Koalar,
I didn't refer
To the bit in the photo but rather the bimetal strip riveted to the strut that when hot bends away from the strut stopping the adjustment.

This only applies to the Bosch design in question.
Cheers
Jack

Ah I get it at last. It locks the little L shape bracket. Wow thats some metal thats got to heat up.

Last edited:
The OP appears to have vanished, with the volume of help given by many, it would be nice to know if they managed to find the problem and fix it, hopefully we will get some sort of an update, but I won't hold my breath.

This summer's project is going to be a complete rebuild of rear brakes, including cylinders and metal pipes if needed
I found my wheel cylinders had started leaking so ordered a new pair from S4P, and only afterwards discovered there are some great deals on the full rear brake kits (both wheel cylinders & sets of shoes assembled with adjusters and springs).

About the best I could find for the full set is Febi 38746 for under £68 delivered:
JD Motorsports
Simply Car Parts / www.simplycarparts.co.uk/products/38746

I know koalar is always picking up bargains on these at ECP, but I can never dig down through the mysterious layers of tinterweb to access them:)

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I found my wheel cylinders had started leaking so ordered a new pair from S4P, and only afterwards discovered there are some great deals on the full rear brake kits (both wheel cylinders & sets of shoes assembled with adjusters and springs).

About the best I could find for the full set is Febi 38746 for under £68 delivered:
JD Motorsports
Simply Car Parts / www.simplycarparts.co.uk/products/38746

I know koalar is always picking up bargains on these at ECP, but I can never dig down through the mysterious layers of tinterweb to access them:)
Thanks for that. I already have the cylinders - had them for a year in fact but got sidetracked into doing the cam belt, front struts, thermostat etc, as they all became more urgent compared to the slight weeping observed on the cylinders. I have seen these brake sets mentioned before and I'll probably buy a complete shoe and adjuster set if I run into problems, so thanks for the links. The outside of my drums look very moth eaten with heavy corrosion and there was a fair lip on the inside before I ground it away. If I find linings/shoes are needed I'll be replacing the drums too but if the linings have some life in them and I can free up the adjusters I'll let it live with the old drums until new linings are needed.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
They replied /
Updated 2 days ago..

They might even get some time off in the next week :)
Yes that was #11 maybe I was expecting it to soon, hopefully they will just replace the adjuster, if that is the problem, rather than replacing all the brakes again, which sounds crazy to me. correct diagnosis is always the best solution.

Last edited:
Sorry everyone, work has been crazy busy, and been busy every evening this week so far.

I've had another look this morning, and the adjuster is definitely shot.....it will turn both ways just by finger.

I also found one of the spring at the back has snapped....looks like one of them that hold the shoes together.....so looks as though the shoes have gradually been creeping out on their own.

I'm going to replace the whole lot. The shoes got overheated, and aren't exactly expensive. The drums melted all the paint off, and again, not exactly expensive.

I'm hoping to drive down to Southern Spain later this year, so would rather the peace of mind knowing it's all new and done properly.

Hopefully by end of play tomorrow, should be as good as new.

Back