Technical Rear axle removal

Currently reading:
Technical Rear axle removal

geek

Hi folks. I bought myself a 2003 seicento with 21.4k miles on it recently.
I'm going to replace the entire suspension on it as it's so rusty all over. I also want to strip off all the under seal that's under the car to make sure that its solid, then repair whatever needs repairing.
First things first, I'd like to get the rear axle off and see if it needs just de rusting and painting or some repairing etc (or replacing). I see this is generally "easy" enough to do, but theres no Haynes manual. Does the cinq one cover it? Or is there anywhere else that will help me in my quest to remove it?
Also, where is best to fire the axle stands on the underside whilst I do all this?
I feel like this thread might get filled with my pictures and questions.

I find it easier to remove the fuel tank first. I then put the car on a railway sleeper that sits on the sills.

With the fuel tank out of the way you can easily get to the brake pipes and some hidden rust areas.
Once the handbrake cable, brake lines and exhaust are disconnected, it's just 2 bolts either side on the subframe and you can drop the whole lot off as one and move it out of the way to work on it.

I would say it is fairly easy, but takes time and a methodical approach.

Well, the car is off for MOT today, hopefully the list of repairs will be short. I'm not going to hold my breath though.
Once it's back I think i'm going to have to make space in my garage and get it in there to work on.
Thanks for the tip on removing the petrol tank first. I've not had a proper look underneith to see whats in the way when it comes to removing the axle, So at least I now have an order in which to do things. I've also read that taking the wheels, drums etc off first will make things a bit easier when it comes to removing the axle itself. So i'm going to do that too as there's probably a lot needing replaced or cleaned up in there anyway.
I'll fire up some updates as I get onto it I suppose.

So, got a call from the MOT station and they said they weren't going to waste their time MOTing it due to the rusty parts that I intend on replacing.
Anyone got a good source for rear arms? not available on euro car parts.
Can find them online, but wasn't sure if anyone on here had a better source.

I've also read that taking the wheels, drums etc off first will make things a bit easier when it comes to removing the axle itself.

i personally leave the wheels on. if you get the car only slightly off the ground, when you drop it down it can sit on the wheels and you roll it out the way.

i would make sure you loosen the rear hub nuts first though as you need quite a bit of leverage to get them undone.

you can take everything off seperately from under the car if you want. either any will work fine

So, got a call from the MOT station and they said they weren't going to waste their time MOTing it due to the rusty parts that I intend on replacing.
Anyone got a good source for rear arms? not available on euro car parts.
Can find them online, but wasn't sure if anyone on here had a better source.

i was going to buy the ones on ebay, but i found mine werent too bad once i attacked them with a needle gun. i painted them with hammerite and they look good as new ;)

Not so sure I'll be able to do that with mine..

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 108
Thought I would update this post.
I got the old axle off after procastinating about it for a long time and getting a breaker bar.
I was so surprised that the bolts holding the axle on came off so easily (with the breaker bar). I was sure they were going to snap off on me, but nope, the threads were super clean! It was just the heads that were rusty. So after chipping rust off the bolt heads and getting the correct size 6 flat socket, bob was indeed my uncle.

I now have a replacement axle and arms to go on. They need some work before they go on right enough. I also need to get a couple of new bolts. In fact I'd love a fresh set of bolts for the axle and the rest of the rear suspension mounting as some are not coming off from my old parts (shock bolts).
Hopefully after cleaning up the mating surfaces and painting them. I can get the rear end back together, new brake lines and handbrake cables. Then I can take the damn thing to the body shop for some rust removal/replacement metal and some paint.

I’ve been at my daughters seicento for a while now the whole back end is now off beam too , clean up the beam and fuel tank of rust waxoyl’d it , clean underbody and waxoyl’d that too .plated up some small holes and bits . its. now ready to go back together with all new bits ! shocks ,coil springs ,trailing arms ,brakes and drums ,wheel bearings,brake backing plates plus brake pipes and handbrake cable .picture is of half way through dismantling it all .
DF0A07E6-0C31-448F-82A5-5EB7AA16C2AC.jpeg

Slowly getting their , welding due to be done in the neat few weeks . the parts are 99% all here from all over europe lol . Rear axle is ready to go , all cleaned up and resprayed with zinc based primer and wax oyle top coat . Once on the whole of underbody will have Coat of Lanoguard protection. I will be building the new brake drums and making brake pipes tomorrow.

Attachments

• 71CF5894-3254-4CAD-BB2E-DE6B3B0E6860.jpeg
    71CF5894-3254-4CAD-BB2E-DE6B3B0E6860.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 29
  • 05494F0C-8D99-4A2F-AF68-63278A27E04E.jpeg
    05494F0C-8D99-4A2F-AF68-63278A27E04E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
  • 9623D02C-2D74-495A-97A4-A64383ED7A74.jpeg
    9623D02C-2D74-495A-97A4-A64383ED7A74.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 24CB2166-3FF0-45AA-ABA4-9D2B6A1D4059.jpeg
    24CB2166-3FF0-45AA-ABA4-9D2B6A1D4059.jpeg