Technical Rear axle and brake swop

Currently reading:
Technical Rear axle and brake swop

Hi folks,
I have a really nice low mileage fiat 500 1.2. I am really happy with it apart from the drum brakes on the rear. I was wondering if it is possible to do a straight swop for the disc brake axle set up. I have good mechanical skills and not worried about the task. I take it i will need to swop out the handbrake cables to and maybe change a few brake lines. Can anyone let me know if they have done this job and what other parts i will need.(y)

I am really happy with it apart from the drum brakes on the rear.

What is it about them that makes you unhappy?

IMO they're more than adequate for the car and are usually trouble free. On the 1.4 (and 100HP Panda), folks are continually moaning about rear brake problems.

If I had a 1.4, I'd be looking to do the reverse swap :rolleyes:.

Heck, I'd put drums on the front if I could find a way of doing it - I'm sure discs use a little more fuel.

I'll just crawl back into my cave now and rejoin the rest of the dinosaurs.

Last edited:
First be aware that rear discs won't stop a 500 any quicker, in fact it will probably make brake distances on the street worse.

Second, you'll need to change the master cylinder as well most likely. If that's the case you'll also need to change the front discs and calipers to match. Then you'll need 15" wheels to clear the 1.4's bigger brakes.

Start off with quality discs and pads, braided lines and. if you're being fancy, high temp brake fluid.

That said, it's a not-particularly-dynamic car with 69bhp. I can't remember the brakes being particularly lacking.

Thanks for the replies, I was interested in doing the swop as I have done a lot of work on the engine. I upgraded the camshaft to a high lift, changed the exhaust and manifold for a free flow one, changed the air box to a ram air kit, engine was then chipped and 17 inch wheels added. I did all this because my wife didnt want the Abarth and I hated chugging around in little Nellie. Its a hell of a lot quicker and that was my reason for the axle swop.

Heck, I'd put drums on the front if I could find a way of doing it - I'm sure discs use a little more fuel.
Besides, the front wheels would need less washing!
biggrin.gif

I have done a lot of work on the engine. I upgraded the camshaft to a high lift, changed the exhaust and manifold for a free flow one, changed the air box to a ram air kit, engine was then chipped and 17 inch wheels added.
I'm impressed!
thumb.gif

Although heavy 17 inch wheels might undo most of the power increase.

Last edited:
I'm impressed!

I'm impressed too!

Though I'd have thought if you were going to all that bother and expense, you'd have achieved even more by starting with a 1.4

I still think there's no useful purpose to be gained from fitting rear discs; under extreme braking, the laws of physics will lift most of the car's weight off the rear wheels anyway. I'll bet Fiat only fit them to the 1.4 for marketing/cosmetic reasons.

Last edited:
In thirty years of driving Fiats with drums on the back they gave no trouble, one went over 150,000 miles on the original shoes. With rear disc brakes on a light car, unless you constantly brake hard, the rear discs will need frequent attention as they won't keep clean enough, this is money down the drain. Discs age very quickly on the rear, if you go for MOT you will notice that the efficiency drops off quickly from year to year and there is likely to be noticeable imbalance. I now drive a fairly quick car, still with drums on the back, they should need little maintenance.

The problem started when my wife saw the car for sale and just had to have it. I was happy enough to buy it but hated its lack of power. I didnt really stop and think about just how pants 69bhp was. I agree the axle swop is purely cosmetic.
I owned and raced a MKII RS2000 many yrs ago and that only had drums on the rear. Ok I did later change it for a baby axle with discs and a LSD as it improved the cars handling and also gave the option to have a bias brake setup. I turned 50 in Feb and thought I had grown out of wanting more power but no. My son who is also on the forum rafsteve bought a Fiat Bravo 165hp and so the passion to tune and tinker with cars was reborn and I found myself once again trawling the tuning magazines and so on.
It makes me laugh because he is just like I was, spending all his money on the car and constantly wanting to go faster. I have a huge knowledge of car set up and tuning and he is forever picking my brains. Ive been there, and worn all the t-shirts.
Oh and ive crashed many times..........

Back