Technical Rattling noise from steering column

Currently reading:
Technical Rattling noise from steering column

paddie

I have this issue on my 100HP but I think it could be on other Panda models too.

There is a distinct knocking/rattling noise from the steering column when I drive slowly over small undulations and especially on cobblestone roads. This happens without the steering wheel being turned. Once over 20 mph or so the noise no longer surfaces, probably because the frequency of the bumps is lower.

It's not a low clunk as it would be from a worn suspension bush - more like the sound of shaking a pair of dice inside a wooden box.

Thing's I've replaced with no improvement to the issue: anti-roll bar drop links, anti-roll bar bushes, lower wishbones, tie rod ends, steering intermediate shaft. The front shocks and top mounts haven't been changed, but the sound really seems to be coming from inside the car, from the steering column unit behind the steering wheel.

It's also not from the instrument cluster or the parts behind it, as I took those out and the sound was still there.

Anyone has the same issue or an idea of what it could be? The steering itself works perfectly.

can't really help as I have never come across this

there have been a few threads lately about the stalks rattling

if its inside you should be able to narrow it down with a Mobil phone.

the microphone is very sensitive to distance. Record the sound from different locations. If you have ear pods with a microphone you can tape it to different locations.

Mine makes a growling rattle like a metal plate being held at one end. It's in time with engine revs and only happens while driving. Ive not been able to locate it so just gave up.

Check its not something in the engine bay rattling on a body panel. It's along shot but you never know.

Back