Technical Rattling from engine..

Currently reading:
Technical Rattling from engine..

Hi all,

Before I start, I just want to say that I know this sounds ridiculously general and it may not be easy to pin point my problem.

This has been happening for a while now, but it seems to be worse and more frequent recently..

When I pull away in first, my car seems to rattle. Its definitely coming from the engine. It makes a kind of rattling noise as if its the exhaust.
It also does it when I change to second and take my foot off the clutch. The same noise happens.

Ive looked in the engine bay, rocked the engine from side to side and just generally looked for anything obvious, but I can't see anything..apart from..
I have a slight oil leak around the rocker cover and there is a gaiter (which I think is the clutch) that is completely perished and is just sliding up and down the metal it is protecting. However, I don't see how this would make a rattle.

I was just wondering if there are any known components that could cause a rattle like I have talked about above?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Rhys

Hi mate,

Does the rattle go away as soon as you put your foot back on the clutch?

Alan
Im not sure, but I think I might have an idea where its coming from..

I have a feeling its heat shield somewhere on the car. I've read on other threads that the heat shied can work its way loose in several places. Hopefully this is the issue. When I get a spare bit of time (when the rain stops!!) I'll have a look under the car.

If this is the case (not confirmed yet) how easy is it to sort it?

Rhys

The heat shield on the cat is on top of the exhaust at the front of the engine , you can't miss it. They are made from disposable barbeque trays and corrode around the four screws on the top and the two lower ones on either side. If it's loose you will probably have to find some large diameter washers so the screws can get a better grip on the shield. Don't panic if it's missing. Most have no trouble without one although I think Dave had a bit of melting going on down there recently.

Heat shield around catalytic converter is a classic cause.

Gaiter you're talking about may be round gear selector cable, I think unlikely to cause that noise.

Had the same issue, the heat shield was held on by the skin of its teeth, Took a bit but got all the old Nuts and bolts off, put some over sized washers on and bolted it back down. It sounds far worse when doing 70 down the M62

I had a rattling noise the same as you and i discovered that my nuts holding on the heat shield had melted and the the washers had burnt throught the shield leaving it hanging on by one nut and washer (casing it to rattle as it were loose). ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1427417638.175201.jpgImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1427417656.544355.jpg

I found out what the problem is.. When I fitted my induction kit, I obviously removed the air box. And now its gone, theres no more rattle.. My guess is it was the airbag rattling all this time!

Rhys

Did you have a spring clamp on the front of your airbox?

There are 4 points in which is fastened down
1 - pipework sits in the clip
2 - The spring clip attached to the cam cover
3 + 4 - 2 10mm bolts on each side

ziggy

Did you have a spring clamp on the front of your airbox?

There are 4 points in which is fastened down
1 - pipework sits in the clip
2 - The spring clip attached to the cam cover
3 + 4 - 2 10mm bolts on each side

ziggy

I had the spring clip, the oil breather underneath and two 10mm bolts either side of the airbox.

Rhys

Back