Rattles and distortion! help!

Currently reading:
Rattles and distortion! help!

copeland666

Hey, I've got a Mk2 fiat punto 1.2 8v. i've got a fusion 12 inch sub in the boot. the only problem is the bloody rattle plus the bass is being distorted by it. has anyone else has the same problem or know what to do?

Soundproofing is what you need. In the boot, in the doors on the boot floor everywhere :) It's expensive though. You can also use expanding foam in gaps between the inner and outer panels for some sound deadening that isn't expensive (compared to something like Dynamat) and will make a noticeable decrease in rattles/road noise.

HTH :)

Random question on this type of topic. WOuld putting some MDF board on the floor of the boot make the sound of 6x9's slight better? or not noticeable at all? (My 6x9 are amazing for me :D:D) just a curiosity question! + noob question :D

softwarez said:
Random question on this type of topic. WOuld putting some MDF board on the floor of the boot make the sound of 6x9's slight better? or not noticeable at all? (My 6x9 are amazing for me :D:D) just a curiosity question! + noob question :D

Hmmm..............if its a good fit, and doesn't rattle, then it may make a slight difference...................

Dunno about the sound quality, but it sure as hell stopped my sub from whizzing round the boot of mine. which made a not so nice clunking noise when i went round corners.

If you bass it's distorting, it's because you're gains are set too high and the amp is distorting, or you're send too much power to the sub and that's distorting.

Like Chaos says, soundproofing is what's needed. I prefer Dynamat Xtreme (ans Chaos has an expanding foam thing going on!), it's easy to apply and very effective, but like Chaos said, not cheap. 2 or 3 sheets should be plenty to deaden your boot sufficiently. I've got 7 in the back of my Sei, 1-3 layers in the boot and 1-2 layers on the rear quarter panels and under the rear seat. Floor and roof next!

Putting a layer of MDF on the boot floor will do nothing to the sound of 6x9s, just make sure the shelf they're mounted on is rock solid.

paulbfd said:
And tremendous (if not a little messy) fun!

Until you get it on your fingers and you have no acetone :eek:

Back