Technical Rattle/Ticking/Knocking noise from engine?

Currently reading:
Technical Rattle/Ticking/Knocking noise from engine?

cutes1

Hi. New to this and relatively hopeless with cars :-S I have a 1.2 MK2 Punto ELX 8v 2001 model.

In January I started to notice a rattling noise coming from underneath the car changing from 1st to 2nd gears only. Louder when engine is started and/or is cold. I had an MOT and oil change done a month ago. Recently the noise has become louder, the engine appears to be making a knocking or rattling sound (especially when cold) and there is still the rattle when changing from 1st to 2nd or back down again. The noise is there in idle but decreases when the engine has warmed up. There is a ticking noise heard constantly when driving but it very faint and in the background to the knocking/rattle.

I searched online and found it could be several things. The timing belt - this was changed at around 38,000 it is now on 45,000 miles. The ticking I hear lessens above 50mph. Cannot hear a knocking when rev the car in idle.
The pistons disconnecting/ or a loose pin - this description honestly most accurately describes what I can hear (anyone any idea on repair costs etc?). The oil - the oil put in at the service was synthetic I believe according to the receipt (10w40) that was used, whereas previously I had semi-synthetic but same grade. Engine heats up to halfway but stops so it never overheats at all. Can't surely be the oil as it rattled before the service was done??The exhaust - the mid and tail pipe on my car was completely replaced in June 2010 but not the front section.

So as you can see it is bugging me to no end! Please can you help? Also if possible tone the technical terms down a bit as I am not mechanically savvy :-S very much appreciated. Sorry for the essay!

If the noise changes when you press down the clutch pedal it is likely the clutch is breaking up. As its only there in some gears it might be the gearbox.

Get a friend to put the clutch down with the gearbox in neutral while you listen to the engine running from under the bonnet. If the noise stops or gets louder when the clutch is pedal is moved, you have a clutch problem. Unfortunately you cant test the gearbox like that but if you drive with the windows down you might be able to hear if the noise changes when driving or when rolling along with clutch pedal down. If it does the issue may be gearbox bearings.

Last edited:
Well after all that panic it was over nothing so it seems!! Had a friend of a friend look under the bonnet for me after work and we found the rattling was coming from the heat shield, which was only being held on by two bolts!! The others must have rusted and dropped off
but yep the rattle was definately that! I am glad its not the clutch/gearbox as I know a new one plus repairs is in the hundreds and I am getting rid end of the year - wanting to avoid costly repairs if can.

Back