Technical rattle from front when engine warm and revving

Currently reading:
Technical rattle from front when engine warm and revving

superstylin69

hi, i have a punto elx 1.2 16 valve. recently it's developed a rattle that appears to be coming from the engine. i can only hear this rattle when in 1st gear or standing idle but revving, that's not to say it doesn't happen in higher gear but only that i can't hear it. oddly it doesn't happen from a cold start, it only kicks in after the engine has been warmed by driving.

has anyone experienced similar problems? i'm a bit sick of paying out for this car at the minute so i'm hoping it's nothing serious!

Check the heatsheild on your exhaust manifold is secure, when its cold(y)

can ya gimme a slight clue as to where this heatshield might be and what it looks like? sorry, i'm an absolute beginner when it comes to cars.
cheers for your reply :worship:

figured out where the exhaust manifold is so i'll check for anything resembling heat shields on it tomorrow

Yep, if you pop your bonnet;) and look at the front between the engine and front of car there should be a shiney tin cover bolted to the exhaust manifold, just give it a 'tug' (insert jokes here) to make sure its secure. When its cold

DanGil said:
Yep, if you pop your bonnet;) and look at the front between the engine and front of car there should be a shiney tin cover bolted to the exhaust manifold, just give it a 'tug' (insert jokes here) to make sure its secure. When its cold
They don't stay shiny very long! mine's nice & rusty.

you hit the nail on the head. it was indeed the heat shield.

i took it to the garage and they ended up having to remove it since apparently it was only bolted on at one point, the other bolts had been snapped off. i think i might be giving someone a brow beating at the fiat garage i took it too recently that changed my head gasket, it wasn't rattling before then so i assume they've done the damage. i wonder if this was before or after they put a hole in the servo that they tried to get me to pay for.

(n) :bang: :cry:

To be fair when i done a hg on my old 8v punto the bolts in the heatshield were so brittle they just sheared the moment i tryed to undo them.

Back