Croma rare 2.4 very cheap £1,095.00

Currently reading:
Croma rare 2.4 very cheap £1,095.00

It is estimated at this rate of spend it would take 10 years to repair all the existing potholes in Britains roads.

...by which time there will be another ten years' worth of potholes - probably more than there are now. In other words, the roads are not being maintained adequately and they'll just dissolve away over the years. So we'll end up paying £1000 per year to drive on dirt tracks.

Looking through the classifieds, year on year Stilos are now fetching around £600 more than a Croma - how exactly does that work then? I know which I would rather have.

Agree. Mine has gone up recently for its used value. Maybe they were too cheap years ago, when the trade shunned them. But yes I agree I would have a Croma, but with a limited sales run in the UK and advertising it did not catch on.

The Stilo initially was a slow seller, but from an 52 plate onwards to 06 plate was a good seller.

most people who dont want a croma are the ones that dont want to get their hands dirty, if you can sort niggly things yourself they are a bargain.

most are also scared as it had a short run so think spare are hard to find, but all the bits that break and/or fall off are the gm parts so easy to get

I wouldn't have a Croma and there's a few others on here that have had both and prefer the Stilo. Used price guide shows which most prefer .. ;)

Used car prices have no bearing on relative merits or qualities of cars since they are influenced solely by the following

sheep.jpg

:nerner: :nerner:

Last edited:
If the intelligence and confidence to make my own decisions without being influenced by the great unwashed makes me mad in the eyes of the world, then so be it. But what is sanity anyway?

You said:

"Used car prices have no bearing on relative merits or qualities of cars"

There was no mention of:

"the intelligence and confidence to make my own decisions without being influenced by the great unwashed makes me mad in the eyes of the world"

Firstly, of course used car prices have a bearing on the merits and qualities of cars, or I'd be driving a Maserati that I paid a tenner for. What planet are you from? :p

Secondly, having the intelligence and confidence to make your own decisions is the reason we drive cars, so good for you. If we all followed the "great unwashed" we'd probabely still be living in mud huts. ;)

Last edited:
Yes, you won't pay a tenner for your Maserati, but you will certainly pay less than a similar aged 911. Is the 911 that much better, probably not. It is only more expensive because the great unwashed with 50 grand to spend haven't the imagination to think beyond a Porsche. Just look at the price of second hand Audis; they are not that good.

I worked out whether it was worth buying a posh car once. Posh brands keep a higher percentage or their new price, so on the face of it should be a better bet. However, the new price is so much more to start with that the losses more than wipe out the higher percentage of the price that is retained.

So you lose more, plus you have more cash shelled out while you own it (which for most people will be costing you interest on a loan).

I rather enjoy the inverse-snobbery of having a bread-and-butter-brand car that's actually pretty decent.

Those sheep obviously don't have a Croma - they don't have any greasy marks on them from fixing it.

I had a Stilo for several weeks as a hire car. It's not in the same league as a Croma.

Small, cheap and flimsy would be my summary of the Stilo I had. I'd find it hard to believe that anyone who's sat in or driven both would prefer a Stilo.

Used prices are not based on facts, but mainly sentiment and snobbery. The Phaeton linked above is a very good illustration of this.

The knack is to find a decent car that everyone else is ignoring. This is why probably all of us Croma owners ended up with one.

I previously had a Seat (before they became crap), which was a Golf with an Audi A3's dash and every extra possible, all built from VW parts. It was fairly cheap when I got it but almost worthless when I sold it, while Golfs with much lower specs were worth £1000s more.

I had a Stilo on hire in Italy in 2005 & was quite impressed (it was this experience that made me consider the Croma in the first place), far better than the Astra or Focus of the time.

That said you can't honestly say the Stilo is as good as the Croma it terms of space, refinement, fit or finish; and yet year for year the Stilo will cost you more second hand.:confused:

Last edited:
Back