Styling Rant (painting) - with pics

Currently reading:
Styling Rant (painting) - with pics

I've spent the last eleven hours working on my Uno Turbo. And specifically, fixing the dents/scratches etc. in the replacement door that I got last Saturday, and preparing the front-left wing/door pillar/sill for painting (at last, three years after it first became damaged!)

The Toyo Series motorsport schedule is proving a real challenge as the next event is tomorrow - three weeks after the last. I've had four days off work since then. One day spent entirely at banks and insurance companies, trying to sort out a deal for my planned new business. Two of those days have been spent buying the Stilo and getting the replacement door (both separate trips to Auckland) leaving today, Saturday, (after I got home from work at 11:30AM) for all the panel and paint work. Ridiculous! Of course the Uno Turbo hasn't even been started up in three weeks... ;)

It took five or six goes, and hours of sanding, to bog out all the dents in the door (which, of course, looked perfect to start with). Uno doors take a real hammering! I counted eleven dents, mostly around the middle ridge, but with two under the window and four along the bottom. Fixing that lot has taken about five hours. I hoped to prepare the door frame etc. as well, but there just weren't any more hours... I had to draw the line somewhere, so at 9:10PM the compressor was fired into life and the first coat of primer went on. And after about 10 minutes, a second 'dust' coat, precisely the wrong order to do things in but I was having problems with surface texture showing through!

Then the heat gun came out (temp is a relatively warm 11 degrees tonight), so that the primer assumed a matt finish (about 10 minutes). Usually I leave the primer a day or two, then wet-sand - but obviously that's not an option these days :rolleyes: so I mixed up the topcoat and on it went. A first light coat, 15 minutes, and a second, heavier coat.

Things were looking great until a large moth decided to have a thrash around, making a 5cm circle of brown dust. As I watched it soak into the paint, and realised it would be impossible to polish out, I thought I might apply some more paint. So I did.

Of course that extra paint has now turned into a huge sag (even though the panel is nearly horizontal!)

Nevertheless the gun is now cleaned out, so the painting is 'finished' (well, sort-of, probably until after Christmas. Oh that's right, I don't get holidays because I'm 'part-time' (only 45 hours per week). Hell, probably until this time next year... :eek:)

To get to the event tomorrow I have to leave at 7:15AM, quite a challenge when I worked until 3AM last night on a video editing project due tomorrow also, but there is another minor detail - the Uno needs putting together! Lights, door, window, etc. :bang:

And so it is that now, 10:30PM, I decided to take a dinner break - to give that paint a chance to harden. The tin says 24 hours, or 6 hours if baked in a paint oven. Six hours?! How about one-and-a-half and a blast with a hot air gun? ;)

I can't help but think that my old Toyo-series arch-rival jjhepburn has things truly sorted out when it comes to his competition vehicle... we painted it almost two years ago when I gave up my old full-time job, and it's needed no panelwork since - he just gets in it and goes. He's watching the rugby on TV tonight... as I'm out in my garage :mad: and, he'll beat me in the hillclimb tomorrow in that bloody Uno 60 - you just see! At least I shall have one excuse - it's my first hillclimb, as I've never made it to this event in the past (the Uno Turbo has been broken for two years).

Of course, it's the first hillclimb for James as well! :eek:

-Alex

Attachments

• IMG_4505.JPG
    IMG_4505.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4503.JPG
    IMG_4503.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4519.JPG
    IMG_4519.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4516.JPG
    IMG_4516.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4517.JPG
    IMG_4517.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
PS. what will probably happen next is that I will give up my part-time job so that I have a couple of days to work on the Uno Turbo before the next event... then I'll take the door off and sand it back (both sides), and repaint properly. The front-left wing/door pillar will probably get left alone.

I also have a replacement bonnet for the Uno Turbo - outside is primed, inside is primed AND painted, done a few months back - so that will hopefully get painted/fitted at the same time (the one on the car is a slightly different shade of Bianco 210 and it has 19 dents - though some are quite small! Needless to say, it was on a 'cheap' Uno that I bought.

When it comes to the Uno, it's not the money, it's the TIME... ;)

-Alex

your part time and work 45 hours a week :eek:

thats not good! surely that cant be normal?

if it is, i dont think ill be moving there anymore :eek:

Serin,
I work for Waikato Museum (Hamilton City Council), which is sometimes ridiculously busy since we are not so much a museum as an 'arts and theatres venue' :) (National Contemporary Art Awards last week). HCC only pays 37.5 hours/week to full-time staff, so I actually earn more as 'part-time', but end up getting used more as well! I've decided to cut back my working days, and since I advised this a month ago they've hired two new full-time staff to do the work I was doing - this should mean that I'm free-er, just not this week or next! ;)

55stiloschuey said:
having a fun night then???

I've just finished work so i'm off home for a cold beer.... mmmm:p

good luck with the hill climb by the way...

Well look who turns up in the Uno forum :) Thanks!
The night is a little more fun when I know that someone else in the world actually cares :D

Speaking of the Stilo, I just got my Stilo insured yesterday - full cover, replacement value $22000, business use - yearly premium $740, which is 240 pounds. I'm happy with that :) Insurance is optional in NZ, but nice to have. It's interesting that the premiums bear no relation to the sum insured... I paid over $1400/year for my Alfa 164 insurance.

As for the hillclimb, a heavy rain warning is forecast with gale-force winds in exposed areas. That means I shall probably be driving a little too carefully, since I've seen many 'offs' at this location when I've been doing timing etc. in past years.

-Alex

alexGS said:
Serin,
I work for Waikato Museum (Hamilton City Council), which is sometimes ridiculously busy since we are not so much a museum as an 'arts and theatres venue' :) (National Contemporary Art Awards last week). HCC only pays 37.5 hours/week to full-time staff, so I actually earn more as 'part-time', but end up getting used more as well! I've decided to cut back my working days, and since I advised this a month ago they've hired two new full-time staff to do the work I was doing - this should mean that I'm free-er, just not this week or next! ;)

thank Fook for that, all my plans suddenly crumbled when you said that earlier :eek: :cry: :p

Nice work Alex, and the paint sag will flat out with a bit of wet and dry ;) Nice to see your turbo getting a spruce up at last! When I get back to the UK I'm tempted to do some serious work on my Uno once I get the Punto on the road. Still thinking of that 1242 conversion...

And Louie, long time no see! How have you been? How's the turbos?

Let's get the Uno section alive again with action (y)

Hi all,

Just wanted to get in here before Alex to acknowledge that Alex in fact beat me with his very nice looking Uno Turbo (although since it never actually stopped raining I didn’t get much of a chance to have a close look).

The first run I managed to post a faster time than Alex (which was remarkable since I was sideways as I passed the finish line and ended up pointing the way I'd come - hopefully Alex will get the video up soon) 1.12 and 1.13. But on the second run I was being a bit reserved so set a real slow time and Alex set a faster time to pass me 1.17 and 1.10.

Anyways Alex at least you got some painting done yesterday, mines all sanded but there is no red paint on there yet, but I did get the windscreen out.

Back