Technical Random loss of fuel pressure > engine stalls > only when cold

Currently reading:
Technical Random loss of fuel pressure > engine stalls > only when cold

ToreV

Hi :)

So turns out my Ducato is a problem car. Just drover 1600km home with a leak in turbo intake :( But its clear hot to fix that.

Anyhow, this year as well as last year when in Norway with my home built camper, when it gets close to freezing (lower than 4c), I get random engine stalls.
If under no load it suddenly dies, if in gear and moving just feel a judder as it resumes. Can always just start it again immediately. And has only occurred when cold outside. Had also happened now while engine starting to warm up. It also very random, sometimes several times on a short drive, sometimes just once, sometimes not at all. But when it occur, its always on the cold side.

There is no accompanying ECU code. But one morning when it was cold, I started up multiecuscan and started monitoring fuel pressure.
- when it almost stalls, fuel pressure drops and then spikes above average (compensate?)
- When it completely stalls its also accompanied by fuel pressure drop.

But i guess it difficult to know is the fuel pressure drop is a cause of the stalls, or just a result of the stalls? But now it seems to all i have to go on.

Is it worth trying to replace the pressure regulator? Unlikely to be the pump itself?

As a sidenote, the airflow sensor is just replaced, which resolved bad idle hunting and very bad/frequent stalls when cold. And it also has a pending fix for the turbo intake leak. (But that's also a new issue)
Just replaced fuel and air filter as well.

The airflow sensor was also definately bad and improved things, but these random stalls when air is cold is different.

This is the graph from when i monitored when it was cold and it stalled. a few almost failures until it finally failed completely.
Capture.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot to mention,
Ducato x250 2008, 2.2 JTD, so the 2.2 ford engine.

The following is a guess not based on any experience.

Investigate if there is a gauze filter on the fuel pick up pipe inside the fuel tank . it is likely there is a gauze filter - take it out check for any blockages.

Fingers crossed someone will be able to post value for residual pressure in fuel rain after engine switch off.

I too am wondering about rail pressure regulator.

Has main diesel fuel filter been replaced?

Thanks

Yeah fuel filter replaced. Ive gone ahead and ordered Fuel pressure sensor, Fuel pressure Regulator and the Pressure relief valve. I will just replace all 3 and then initiate the "reset the high pressure pump adaptation parameters" in Multiecuscan.

Hopefully that will do the trick, but i wont know until it gets really cold.

Back