Rally Driving

Currently reading:
Rally Driving

Racing

Hi Guys,
I just joined the group, I'm really interested in driving and have done a bit of Karting but wanted to find out if anyone knew of any fast rally schools out there. I'm from the south coast so the closer the better i guess.

Thanks for any tips from the more experienced.:slayer:

Hi Guys,
I just joined the group, I'm really interested in driving and have done a bit of Karting but wanted to find out if anyone knew of any fast rally schools out there. I'm from the south coast so the closer the better i guess.

Thanks for any tips from the more experienced.:slayer:

Would have thought Nikkiy9 is your man for this not sure if he's still about perhaps try a PM as he's fairly heavily involved in amateur rallying.

Apart from freezing my nuts off in various remote locations around the UK watching the RAC come through my only experience of rallying are:

Talking to a bloke in a pub who was wearing a Subaru rally jacket I made the following statement followed by a good put down:
"So you're one of those strange characters who hang around in forests then."

"No, I'm one of those strange characters who drive in forests."

It turned out that he actually did compete a Group N Impreza.

The other time was when working for a Lancia dealer and managed to (lucky git) get on a driving experience thingamajig that they were putting on for customers and I got the chance to represent the company as we could recommend it in the showroom. It was considered to be fairly important to actually have some experience of what was on offer.

The choice of cars consisted of a Thema LX Turbo and a Delta Integrale. There was also an instructor and the cars were left hand drive but, weirdly, unlike your average driving school car, had two complete sets of controls; three pedals and a second steering column. That way the instructor could demonstrate as well as take control should it be needed which meant that in this country the "pupil" could experience the same view regardless of who was driving.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the instructor was some Finnish bloke. He was quite well known, you might have heard of him. His name was Pentti Arikkala. He was quite good really.

None of that was of any use whatsoever to the OP. Sorry about that.

Sounds like you've had some experience in the Rallying World! I have been considered to be one of the strange folk that hang around in Forests before. Normally with a thick coat which does nothing to keep off the cold and a Thermos which was finished before even finding the best place to stand!
Always wanted to drive a rear wheel rally car, the oversteer through every corner just says style to me. My search for the rally school continues!

My top tip...

1917459_1156600882189_209467_n.jpg

...get a decent tow truck. Sherpa's are terrible. ;)

Most of the lot I used to mess about with are North of the A47. I was going to explain how to get an car through an MSA, get yourself FIA licensed and stuff but if you want to hoon about try these guys...

http://www.tirallyschool.co.uk

...and don't be so quick to dismiss front wheel drive.
skidmarks.gif

Back