General Raising/ lowering hood

Currently reading:
General Raising/ lowering hood

Well I managed to get out of today's session of building towers out of straws and tin foil only to find its only me and Phil in the office and he's just been dumped by his girlfriend of 16 years. He's not too happy....
Back to topic, the guys who are helping me couldn't get out of team building so they are away but hopefully we'll be able to look at the roof tomorrow. In the mean time the plastic bags and yellow bath towel are doing a great job of keeping out the rain!
xS

If I could find an icon for crying with laughter.........

Nearly the end of the week Alan :D

hi all

quick roof update.
tony who sits opposite me came to have a look and tried various adjustments. non of them did any good, infact made it worse if anything.
We only tried the adjustments on the arms. Tony was worried about losing the fit of the windows if we tried the other bolts inside the side panels.
But with all this taking the roof up and down the gap has got considerably smaller. I'm going with the theory that the roof is really tight from lack of use - the boss says its tight as a drum and his z3 roof was much looser. I think I'm going to live with it for a bit and see how it goes, but keep the bath towel in the back!
xs

:idea: If you take the shower gel as well as the towell, you can always wash on the way to the office.

hi shel if i remember correctly you have a mohair roof??
if your unsure it the material it not helping the problem, try taking the hose pipe to her keep towels jamed in place. give it a good soaking with the roof up i mean of course and then try lift up and down couple of times that will strech fabric for you, but wont help the adjustment i am afraid.
glad you are keeping at it!!! well done

I fitted the new struts from Barchettaparts and they work fantastic!! the old ones were shot no gas in them at all, so if you are having probs with getting the hood up try this fix, £65 but well worth it i reckon.

Chris

The hood struts on mine were shot when I got it. I found it was actually easier to put the hood up and down with them removed once they got this bad as all they do is drag.
I'd always intended to do something about it but never got around to it, cursing my goldfish memory every time I popped a kidney lifting the hood closed.

Instead of spending a lot, I accidentally found the boot struts on my other car were virtually identical, albeit a higher force at 305N rather than the standard 250N. Henk's ones are 350N if I remember right, so it looked good.
All I needed to do was lengthen them at full stretch by approx. 5mm which was easy enough to do - just needed a couple of small washers fitting at each end as per picture below. They are now the same extended length as the Barchetta struts, at their shortest length with the hood down they are nowhere near full compression, so it's all jolly good :).

As the strut is permanently in compression, there won't be any problem with using only half the thread on the screw ends as the weight is spread evenly by the washers.

The replacement struts in question are from the boot lid of a Mazda RX-8 and cost me a fiver second hand on ebay. Pic of the washers added below, but you could probably get away with just putting the two on the rod end as you have to compress them slightly to fit onto the B with the hood up.

Attachments

• Hood struts.JPG
    Hood struts.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 51
Back