General Raising/ lowering hood

Currently reading:
General Raising/ lowering hood

I'd personally be more inclined to use HP's modification to avoid hideous costs.

Maybe writing up a guide would help Pete?

(y)

Here you can see how the lower part is verry close to the rubber. So when opening it catches the rubber(where the white mark is).

IMG_1676.JPG

Does it easy open as well then?

re link...Just cut n paste mate, right click on the link & select copy or cut, once on the post reply, right click & select paste, as long as you haven't changed the HTML settings (which I very much doubt you have) all should be fine.[/quote]

Hi Guys, new to the forum but not new to Italian cars. I am embarrassed that i never knew the hood had gas struts to assit raising it and yes it is heavy without them. Anyway I took a look and discovered my gas struts are completely shot (and dated 1996!) so obviously the originals.

I am going to find (or confirm) a solution for replacing these with stronger ones and will report back. I am testing a new pair from a Mazda RX-8 tomorrow and will visit the Stabillus dealer as well to try to find the ones that barchettaparts. com sells because they shouldn't cost so much. if we got the model number of the ones he sells I am sure we can find them in the UK for less.

BTW the balls on my car are 10mm as well.

More will follow but if anyone has the model number of the ones that Henk sells it would be a huge help.

Regards
f512tr

I have replaced them with stronger gas struts from Henk @ barchettaparts, costed about €80 and they take 5 minutes to install. Haven't had the chance to test them becaust the roof has to stay closed for at least 3 more days;

Henk gave me a solution for the roof catching the tonneau.
Remove the rubber, and hit the corner where it catches with a rubber hammer:devil:
problem solved

Henk gave me a solution for the roof catching the tonneau.
Remove the rubber, and hit the corner where it catches with a rubber hammer:devil:
problem solved

????

So, remove the rubber seal? How much? 5cm 10cm or whole seal all around?

Use mallet to bash / fold the inner mounting lip back?

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

If you raise the hood from the midle and not from the ends there is no problem.

If you raise the hood from the midle and not from the ends there is no problem.

Well on our car it is a problem, both with the original Fiat hood and our new mohair replacement.

The solution I originally did from new was to place strips of tank/gaffer tape over the rubber (from inside the drain channel, over the rubber and down the inside of the car) where the head was brushing/catching the rubber. Not ideal but with black tape looked OK and allowed the hood fabric to slip/slide passed the rubber without catching.

With the new hood I've used clear polythene stips instead of tape. Problem here is getting them to stick/tape down inside the drainage channel.

I really want to lift the rubber and lock the strips in underneath but thus far have not been brave enough to do this as I'm not entirely sure how all the bits of rubber meet and are secured at the top of the 'B' post.

:D I have a rather unothodox method....I stand in the space behind the drivers seat so I can pull up the hood from the centre! A bit awkward but I can't raise the hood from the side of the vehicle. I have arthritis in my hands and find this method works for me!

Mind you, living in Spain the hood is only up for about three months of the year, the rest of the time it is left down and I just keep an all weather cover on every night :D

Back