General Raising/ lowering hood

Currently reading:
General Raising/ lowering hood

The wife wants to drive the B all by herself (I knew it would happen), but cant manage to put the hood up and down as she finds it too heavy, any tips on how I can make it easer for her, any lady drivers with there experience!

Chris

Last edited:
My hood is almost impossible to lift without bursting internal organs, and that's because the gas struts have had it. When the car was new, I needed to strap the roof down when stowed to allow the tonneau cover to close easily, but that's not the case any more. I need new struts... perhaps yours are gone too? Just a thought

Lima "Gas struts"? don't think I got any of them, We will have a go at trying to lift it from nearer the center that may help, My lads old Z4 had a great electric hood, I read the posts on that thought re the B and it seems to be a it of an impossibility,

No struts? No wonder it's heavy - If you look down where the hinge of the hood is, you should see the top 'knuckle' where the strut meets the frame. Beyond is a short strut. I have tried another B with working struts and it was a sight easier to lift. Despite this, yes you should always lift the roof from the middle where the handle is to evenly load the frame mechanism.

Marky

Hi all,

The barchettaparts.com guy was selling some beefed up struts when I attended the netherlands owners club meeting a few years ago. He put some on one of the cars there and you could lift the hood out of it's tonneau with fingertips.

regards

Rich

You sure, I have had a good look and cant see anything that resembles a gas strut, you would have seen something Alan when you replaced your hood surely? can they be retro fitted?

Chris

Last edited:
Don't go near the inside of the pillar when changing the hood but will have a look in eper....BACK IN 5....

*edit*

Well there you go, part No7 at £27 ish a side.

roof1.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Last edited:
all parts from that site are probably used. but 80€ for two pieces is ok price, because I called local Fiat dealer and they said about 90€ per piece. :eek::eek:
it is a bit overpriced piece of rubber.

Last edited:
reply from Henk

"I fit it in 2 seconds its very easy and it works perfect its 350 Newton so 100 Newton more than the originaal
Price includit shipping is 85 euro

Regards Henk"

I think I will give them a shot after my Hols

Chris

Would be interesting to find out if they are new??

My hood rubbers are in terrible shape, 50 % rubber 50 % silicone.... formed to the shape I think they should be... It only rains here a couple of times a year if we are lucky so I just can't justify spending fiat prices on them seeing as my hood is mostly down or I have the hard top on. I have tried everywhere I can think of to see if manufacturers will supply it in 30 metre lengths but most never even bothered to reply. would love to know where he gets them made...

I would assume used. I did enquire about them and you will need to send a photo of each rubber seal required to ensure the correct piece.

Thought for a moment some genius had managed to get them manufactured themselves and do them way cheaper than FIAT.

Probably right though, for that price I would guess used. I'll ask though.

Back