Punto Evo Rain water coming into boot

Currently reading:
Punto Evo Rain water coming into boot

Cid Lavery

So I bought a Punto Evo GP a couple of months ago. It looks a really clean car with no mechanical problems.
Every time my wife got in the car she said it smelt damp. After a bit of investigation I found that there was rain water dripping from rear tip of the black plastic on the passenger side in the boot. I unscrewed the trim and found it was dripping from the second to rear hole in the metal.When I put my fingers in the other holes to track the water I could not feel any wetness. If feels like it's coming from right by the hole. I took the light cluster off also but I don't think it's coming from there.
If I take the boot seal off to have a look underneath it would it be hard to get back on?
Thank you for your time.

I can’t work out from your description what you are talking about, however boot leaks are almost always to do with the back lights and the seals around them.

As you’ve already mentioned finding the leak in this area this is where I advise you focus your attention

Thank you for responding.
I have had the light cluster off and the seal looks fine. Also the where the light connects to the car is lower than where the water came from.
If I took the boot seal off to put sealant underneath, would it be a pain to put back.

Just for information, my Punto Evo leaked rain water in from an air out vent located behind rear bumper. There is one in both rear corners. Water ran inside door sills (or whatever you call them) to front passenger floor under floor mat.

There is limited access to the vents with small hands from boot. You need to remove at least tailgate sill trim panel. We fixed the original rubber seal with adhesive sealant (Sikaflex).

And one hell of a work when drying car interior...

So I bought a Punto Evo GP a couple of months ago. It looks a really clean car with no mechanical problems.
Every time my wife got in the car she said it smelt damp. After a bit of investigation I found that there was rain water dripping from rear tip of the black plastic on the passenger side in the boot. I unscrewed the trim and found it was dripping from the second to rear hole in the metal.When I put my fingers in the other holes to track the water I could not feel any wetness. If feels like it's coming from right by the hole. I took the light cluster off also but I don't think it's coming from there.
If I take the boot seal off to have a look underneath it would it be hard to get back on?
Thank you for your time.
I have exactly the same fault

Did you ever find a cause

I wish I could say that I found a solution but I ended up just wedging a couple of rags in the space below where it was dripping.

Finding water leaks like this can be extaordinarily difficult often stumping the "professionals". Our "Becky" - 2010 Panda Dynamic Eco led me a merry dance. I know it's not a GP but, if you care for a little "entertainment", you can read about it here:
https://www.fiatforum.com/panda/461837-water-leaking-into-boot.html?461837=#post4352274

Might be worth shutting yourself into the boot with a torch and getting a helper to play a hose over the outside whilst you observe from the inside? Always worth remembering that water can "wick" up under the likes of boot seals by capillary action and appear again higher up than the entry point. This doesn't sound logical but I've come across it a number of times and it's a well known phenomenon in the trade.

Back