Technical radio problem

Currently reading:
Technical radio problem

kevc

Hi im new to site,Just bought a stilo 1.6 and can not get any stations on radio, lw mw or fm nothing, cd works fine. believe there is a fuse to the amp which i wanted to check, manual says its in the boot but i can not find any fuse compartment. Can any one pls help with location

If you've just bought it, my thoughts would be that the previous owner had his win head unit in the car and has done a quick job changing it back before sale. Might be as simple as not connecting the aerial connector behind the radio.

Hi im new to site,Just bought a stilo 1.6 and can not get any stations on radio, lw mw or fm nothing, cd works fine.

Hi, Welcome to the FF.

The radio and CD use the same amplifier, so if the CD is working, then it won't be a problem with the amplifier.

As mentioned above, most likely cause is the radio aerial, or its connections or extension leads.

Thanks for the advise, seems hard work to fix new aerial take it i would have to remove alot of roof lining etc.could i just purchase new and fit to shortest route

If you've just bought it, my thoughts would be that the previous owner had his win head unit in the car and has done a quick job changing it back before sale. Might be as simple as not connecting the aerial connector behind the radio.

bought of my sister lol so not the case i refitted new aerial con so unless its at the aerial end or other wiring ?? maybe damp where joins roof?

There's an aerial extension lead connector above the dashboard fuse box. It's the black one shown in the picture below. You will only have the grey and green ones if you have the Connect Nav radio, CD, telephone, Sat/Nav unit fitted.

There's another extension lead connector close to the aerial mounting base, above the roof lining. If the car's a saloon, you may be able to reach it by just lowering the rear of the roof lining. The standard radio aerial will only have one connector, not 3 as shown in the second picture below.

Attachments

• Aerial Leads 2.JPG
    Aerial Leads 2.JPG
    613.6 KB · Views: 398
  • CN+ Aerial.JPG
    CN+ Aerial.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 301
If you have the standard Stilo Visteon radio, there are some tests (including aerial open or short circuit) you can do with the radio's onboard diagnostics.

Attachments

• Visteon Operation  Test.JPG
    Visteon Operation Test.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 384
  • Visteon Reception Test.JPG
    Visteon Reception Test.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 330
  • Visteon Speaker Test.JPG
    Visteon Speaker Test.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 282
Thanks Davren mines just the standard one wire out of aerial and can see it as you say by lowering the lining. everything seems ok and all the test come back good so maybe its just the aerial thats gone?

Thanks Davren mines just the standard one wire out of aerial and can see it as you say by lowering the lining. everything seems ok and all the test come back good so maybe its just the aerial thats gone?

how do the extensions connect together just so i can check them ? thanks again in advance

Hi,

I'm sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm in exactly the same situation having recently bought a Stilo from a local garage.
I'm also new on here.

CD player is fine, but the radio doesn't pick up anything.
To cut a long story short, I have tried another radio/cd unit and the problem still persisted which narrows it down to the aerial.
I also tried the aerial from my wife's car.

I did relevant tests on the radio and, although I can't remember the exact wording: Open CCT - Short Circuit Fail
I was also only getting 0.2v through.

Despite lots of searching, I've yet to find an answer...where is it more likely the problem lies?
I'm hoping it's not a case of having to replace the whole lead as that's something that I wouldn't be able to do as I'm not really a car person.

Hi guys,

I recently (just a couple of weeks ago) had exactly the same problem. The original factory fitted Visteon radio tuning function just gave up, meaning it could not lock on to any station, neither FM or AM. Took it out, measured the lead to the antenna and that's fine. Plugged in a piece of cable into the aerial lead of the radio and still nothing. Took it to an electrician who fixes among other stuff Stilo radios as well and just as I presumed the tuner of the radio broke, so I was left with a choice to pay either 40 euros to change just the tuner or get a complete used but good radio with a CD player for 60 eur. I went with the latter option. Mind I say that the original radio was still a cassette player one :) at least now I have a CD player Visteon radio all working fine, it was just a swap, out with the old, in with the new and presto.

This is what I keep seeing, that people replaced their radio.
But for me, I've tried two different radios that definitely work but the same problem still existed, but I don't know exactly where along the line it is. I'm hoping it's the easy to reach part!
Or I'll just keep to CD's.

Hi guys,

I recently (just a couple of weeks ago) had exactly the same problem. The original factory fitted Visteon radio tuning function just gave up, meaning it could not lock on to any station, neither FM or AM. Took it out, measured the lead to the antenna and that's fine. Plugged in a piece of cable into the aerial lead of the radio and still nothing. Took it to an electrician who fixes among other stuff Stilo radios as well and just as I presumed the tuner of the radio broke, so I was left with a choice to pay either 40 euros to change just the tuner or get a complete used but good radio with a CD player for 60 eur. I went with the latter option. Mind I say that the original radio was still a cassette player one :) at least now I have a CD player Visteon radio all working fine, it was just a swap, out with the old, in with the new and presto.

I've actually seen that link before. Thinking about it, I've even got it saved in my bookmarks as a reference.

Unfortunately, soldering isn't something that I have much knowledge with.

Back