Radio blocked

Currently reading:
Radio blocked

Stasiax

Hi my fiat 500's radio is suddenly blocked and is asking for a code!how do I find this please??

Great thanks for that!i went to the car mechanic today and they couldn't get the radio out!it was stuck!ill take it again tomorrow and send you the codes!thanks again

Can anyone help me i need the radio code for my fiat grande punto the numbers are in the pic

Attachments

• 1423513579800.jpg
    1423513579800.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 272
My radio has blocked on 2009 500C and despite having the code, it is refusing to work and the display just says 'radio blocked/wait'. Manual doesn't seem to cover this eventuality so any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Radios go into this mode when the code entered was not correct - if memory serves there will be a specific time period you are forced to wait, probably with the ignition on, so plan for it on a long trip. I think its about an hour for every incorrect entry so entering incorrect codes will really try your patience after a few days of it and I certainly wouldn't last long.

I'm sure I won't be the first to suggest that if your car was bought used, there is a small possibility the stereo is not the one originally installed in the car if the code provided with the car is not working?

Radios go into this mode when the code entered was not correct - if memory serves there will be a specific time period you are forced to wait, probably with the ignition on, so plan for it on a long trip. I think its about an hour for every incorrect entry so entering incorrect codes will really try your patience after a few days of it and I certainly wouldn't last long.

I'm sure I won't be the first to suggest that if your car was bought used, there is a small possibility the stereo is not the one originally installed in the car if the code provided with the car is not working?

correct - thanks for posting - great Tipo..:cool: Christian

OP; AndyW
Hi,
and welcome to FF , and the world of FIAT

OK - basically all FIAT audio units need a "security code"

IF it's in it's original vehicle the vehicle recognises the unit,so you never see it asking for a code,
however you've got a "foreign" unit, that your car won't immediately recognise / pair with.

So,
you will need the correct code, and have to enter it into the unit,
the reason you've got WAIT - is because an incorrect CODE has been entered before..

https://www.fiatforum.com/500/500/i-c-e/43023...t-display.html

Charlie - Oxford ;

Thanks for the response, the radio is the standard unit supplied with the car and the manual mentions having to wait each time an incorrect code is put in, will try a longer journey and see what happens! Otherwise it's back to the expensive local dealer although the car is well out of any warranty!

Disconnect the battery for 5 seconds and that may clear it. The same happened on my Abarth and that fixed it.

Tried disconnecting the battery but still showing blocked, then it asked for code but wouldn't allow me to put all 4 numbers in without it putting the last number first, so the wait gets longer. Local Fiat dealer quoting £84 just for a diagnostic check....I'm beginning to lose patience!:bang:

Thanks for that suggestion, dealer has quoted approx £3-400 for a new system if it's needed, so you can guess my reaction. Appreciate the response I've had so far.

An aftermarket unit will be much better, much cheaper and never need recoding. I just retired my oldest Kenwood, 15 years of off road abuse and still working 100%.

Being completely ignorant about radio/cd appliances, what happens with the original Fiat fascia/buttons if the standard unit is changed for an aftermarket item? Thanks in advance for any help.

Being completely ignorant about radio/cd appliances, what happens with the original Fiat fascia/buttons if the standard unit is changed for an aftermarket item? Thanks in advance for any help.

it's a complete working unit,
Eg, like if you bought a new TV , it would be in a case with the odd button on it, (and a remote to work it's full range of functions)

any decent aftermarket stereo "Head Unit" will look smart,
and SHOULD work from the steering wheel controls - as well as it's fascia mounted buttons,

tip - go to a showroomn ( Halfords,etc) and then you'll actually get a FEEL for what look - including night illumination - you require..,

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, but what I meant was can the original Fiat audio controls on the dashboard/front of the unit still be used or would an aftermarket unit have to use whatever it comes with and therefore make the dash look a bit of a mess? Sorry if this sounds stupid on my part but it's not something I've ever had to do! Next stop Halfords or similar, probably!

Last edited:
Thanks Charlie, but what I meant was can the original Fiat audio controls on the dashboard/front of the unit still be used or would an aftermarket unit have to use whatever it comes with and therefore make the dash look a bit of a mess? Sorry if this sounds stupid on my part but it's not something I've ever had to do! Next stop Halfords or similar, probably!

The existing fiat unit will be removed and a plastic fascia will go around the edge of the new standard sized single din unit. Personally I don't like the look of the aftermarket single din units in the 500 as I think the factory headunit looks tidy in the dash

Thanks again, I don't even know the terminology for today's ice units, (head unit/single din etc)but I'm learning all the time! I don't do technology so life is hard!!

Back