Technical quieter silencer for tuned engine

Currently reading:
Technical quieter silencer for tuned engine

Hi as I am about to move to an apartment with an underground car park, I am looking to change my noisy silencer (so not to upset the new neighbours) can anyone suggest a good new silencer that will go with my tuned 500 L fitted with a Weber 40 & lumpy cam, I am sending the weber to be stripped & cleaned (full Service) would a standard silencer reduce any performance? or is there a quiet sports “looking one” that’s not noisy? Any suggestions appreciated. Barry

I assume that you have that set up on a 650 or larger engine. You have not described your current exhaust but I have found the twin outlet pipes a bit more subdued in the decibel department.

Difficult one as you will not know till fitted and tested. I am no fan of the very noisy exhausts and one of my favourite type tuned exhausts is the last one shown on the Axel Gerstal site by IMASAF and not too expensive at €144.70. The one I had made a nice gurgle rather than an explosive rasp. I assume that you have a 126 thermostat housing rather than the original 500 one.

Something like this

Attachments

• BAFFA9E5-6754-44EA-888D-3EB60828C104.jpeg
    BAFFA9E5-6754-44EA-888D-3EB60828C104.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
I have a twin pipe. They are still a lot more nosy than the standard original fit. I think the issue is that your car will also be in an enclosed space and will reverberate to some degree.

I can't post video on this site, but link below for video from my instagram feed to give some idea. My engine is standard 594cc with 28mm carb

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9mKIpVF3Od/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

That is a very slow cranking speed! When was the battery last charged (don't forget to check the electrolite level)

That is a very slow cranking speed! When was the battery last charged (don't forget to check the electrolite level)

Hi Tom, was a new battery fitted Jan last year. From a thread on here:

New 057 battery fitted this morning. 48AH and 430CCA. Very reassuring that the size is much bigger than what was currently fitted, a 027 model, 40AH and 330CCA. Good to have the extra capacity and starting capability. Cheap and easy mod, even I could fit it

I also have the car permanently on a CTEK battery trickle charger. Think I posted about the cranking speed in a previous thread and the consensus being that it's normal??

But happy to see others cranking it up ! :D

Attachments

• charge.jpg
    charge.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Not wishing to teach you to 'suck eggs', but don't forget that if you turn thr charger off at the wall BUT LEAVE IT CONNECTED TO THE BATTERY, the battery will 'back-charge' the charger. When I worked for Bentley/Ferrari/Maserati the number of times that I went to a customer's house and found the battery only just able to start the car because the owner, having turned the charger off, left it connected to the battery and still plugged in. Captains of Industry?---wouldn't let most of them out on a dingy!
I assume the tyre that your charger is sitting on is NOT the spare for the Fiat.

Teaching egg sucking is fine in my book. I never turn my chargers off, learnt the hard way on that once.

Yes, I got the opportunity to buy some cheap tyres for the 500 but when they showed up . . . . . . . :eek: :D

Attachments

• tyre.jpg
    tyre.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 18
I also have the car permanently on a CTEK battery trickle charger. Think I posted about the cranking speed in a previous thread and the consensus being that it's normal??

But happy to see others cranking it up ! :D

I don't have my car on a trickle-charger, but I am happy not to be seen in this grainy video, cranking it up. The second attempt is when I deliberately turned off the ignition to give a true idea of the speed of cranking.

It was taken this morning, the temperature being around 1C in an unheated and unappealing garage, with the car having sat there, sulking, for about a week. Obviously, it sounds a bit more enthusiastic in the summer and once it's up to temperature. But it's more than adequate to start the car. Experience now tells me that no matter how slowly it cranks, when the engine is cold, if it doesn't spark into life at the moment the fuel gets to the carb, there's something wrong. :rolleyes:

https://youtu.be/FxuDJVOwO-w

Last edited:
Back